Old 10-25-2012, 08:16 AM

Default Dell latitude D400
Please could the final version of Isotope 9.1 have a video driver for the above laptop which uses Video card controller Intel 855GM/855GME.

The Intel option on the Display Setup page of the installation does not work although it tries to!!

Thank you

Curtrey
Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Administrator

What is the last snapshot that you tried? Does it still not work in RC3?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:03 PM

Default Rc3
Dear Dru

As explained elsewhere the update does not work for me. I keep getting the message that I need to attend to the mirrors (which I have done) or that my connection to the internet is faulty (which it is not). So I am stuck.

Very frustrating!!

Yours sincerely

Curtrey
Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Curtrey View Post
Dear Dru

As explained elsewhere the update does not work for me. I keep getting the message that I need to attend to the mirrors (which I have done) or that my connection to the internet is faulty (which it is not). So I am stuck.

Very frustrating!!

Yours sincerely

Curtrey
If you list the specific and literal error messages that your computer is giving you, people will be able to help you better. Your interpretations of the errors might be correct, but anybody who can help is expecting a direct quotation and not an interpretation.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 AM

Default Update not working
Failed to install:System Update to 9.1-RC3 Failed to install update! Please check your network connection, or change mirror servers in the System Manager.

Please may I have your considered opinion of the situation, and now you have all the information I have, I would apreciate your recommendation to rectify the problem.

Regards Curtrey
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 AM

OK, this reminded me, I think I have some idea of what's going on. I have recently tried to install some extra software through the System Manager in the control panel, and it wouldn't install. I get:
Code:
The meta-pkg manager returned an error. For more details please look at the log file: /tmp/.pc-metapkgmanager.log
and in the referenced log file there is:
Code:
ERROR: The pkg location /9.1-RC3/amd64/netinstall/metapackages/pcbsd/packages/ does not exist!
- yet if I point my web browser at one of the mirrors, everything shows up there as expected. Maybe our problems are related.

I suggest that instead of posting in "Feature Requests - Dell Latitude D400" you re-post that error message, along with your explanation of how you got it, in the Usage Bug Reports section of the forum, under a title like "System Update fails with confusing error". Frankly, while hardly anybody cares about what looks to be a feature request specific to one single model of one brand of computers, a failure of system updater will be much more important to many more people. With good reason, people tend to ignore messages that appear to be of no concern to them.

--
Hope this gets resolved
David
Old 11-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Changing your mirror in System Manager should fix the problem. Sounds like the selected mirror did not have the needed update.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:05 PM

Default Update problems
I tried all in Europe and got the same result. To get over the problem I downloaded RC3 and installed it on both my laptop and desktop. That proved an unmitigated failure. The desktop had sound from youtube songs using RC2 but no sound from DVD tray but now with RC3 has no sound from anything.
The laptop freezes up as with RC2 so badly that even "alt-Control-Delete" fails to shut it down and it is necessary to turn the power off. RC3 like RC2 can be installed but only with Vesa and then at the boot stage by pressing 5 and 6 and when the wizard screen skipping forward. Any attempt to use the facilities ie altering the driver or anything else and the machine goes into freeze-up.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Regarding sound, try changing the default device in Control Panel -> Sound Configuration.

Sounds like the new Intel drivers don't help with your particular card :-(
The Following User Says Thank You to drulavigne For This Useful Post:
Curtrey (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM

Smile Sound
Well done. Sound for Youtube now "A" OK. Waiting for the DVD player to download to see if any sound from the tray!! Will get back to you tomorrow on that. Pity about the graphics on the laptop. I will need it on Wednesday as I am overseas until end Feb 2013. May have to install something else.

Best wishes

Curtrey