Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Lightbulb Linux Debian 6.0.6 via Warden Jail on 9.1RC1
Intention of this post is to finalize instructions on how to enable workable dev machine for several Linux experienced users in Slovenian based NGO.

PC-BSD will be operating system for several developers and I will provide support during individual transition of people involved. Personally most of my 15yrs of experience as tech-support comes from Windows environment, but slowly with the end of support for Windows XP, my main focus turned to Linux and soon after version 7 of PC-BSD, to FreeBSD world too. I'm delighted to see the constant evolving here and that is one of the reasons why decision is made to participate in PC-BSD community.

Scope of this document:

1. Initial prerequisites for developers HW:
- at least 2disk array with ZFS enabled (dev machine used in examples is recommended as minimum requirement to follow this howto)
- 4GB of RAM (more is better)
- registered node at https://nodes.wlan-si.net/

2. What to install, to be able to start jailed Linux
- Warden explained
- How to get right IP address
- How to export jail
- Import and possible caveats
- Automatic backup via Jail-snapshot & Sync procedure in few steps

3. Useful commands for administering this setup
- df
-

Last edited by helix; 10-09-2012 at 09:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to helix For This Useful Post:
sg1efc (10-10-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Default How to start jailed Linux
Warden
Code:
# warden create <IP> <HOSTNAME> <flags>
In PC-BSD enabling Jail is done via "PC-BSD Control pannel" found on desktop. Look for "Warden" at the bottom of CP. Details on wiki.

Getting the right IP address
Each development environment will be joined as a node in Slovenian open Wlan project. Example IP numbers are from this node. This way we hope to provide workable environment even in cases where developer don't have connection to the Internet. Big plus to Open Wlan project is the ability to interconnect local routers with neighbors who do have access to Internet (and of course, also have joined in Grow process). Tested on TP-Link TL-WR741ND

Exporting workable Jail
I have found that export time for cca 1,4GB big jail takes around 20-30min (I did some other stuff in between, but it seemed very long to me). Is this normal? But good news is, that exported size is dropped to 200Mb of size with .wdn extension. I guess this is due to heavy compression algorithms, I noticed one proc constantly on 99%. Is it possible to speed up export by somehow allocating other 3 cores on host computer?

Import
Have to do the test of import, since I read some problem can occur via GUI (PC-BSD 9 RC1)

Syncing
We have to test what is best way to exchange exported Jails. Goal is to have several locally spread repositories. Will expand this further more as I elaborate with colleagues from Open Wlan (I was thinking of FreeNAS repo server and simple rsync on client). Exported Warden files on repository will be available for newly joined Devs in our team.

Last edited by helix; 10-09-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Just a note that the import issue was only in the GUI and has been fixed for RC2.
The Following User Says Thank You to drulavigne For This Useful Post:
sg1efc (10-10-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM

i ve been using debian-squeeze thru a jail.... i could install it clean and neat. i would appreciate if i could get a step by step methodology of setting up x with resolution in the debian jail so i can run linux specific apps from within the jail....

Tags
jail, linux debian, tzm, warden, zds