Old 09-04-2012, 12:29 PM

Default cannot install Brother HL-2140
I have recently installed PCBSD and like everything about it except that I cannot install my printer. My printer is not in the data base. I cannot find a ppd file in the Brother install disc. I tried hpijs-pcl5e but I was required to also install the hpijs program and the only site with it was closed. I tried the cups web site local 631, it did not list my printer and the generic pcl5 did not work. How can I install this printer which is recognized by every linux version that I have tried?

I can get rpm and deb drivers, can they be adapted for pcbsd?

Last edited by desertstraw; 09-04-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: newer info
Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Looking back at other threads, I find that others have had the same problem with other Brother printers. Most of the threads end with no solution. What is so different between linux and pcbsd that one makes one so easy for Brother printers and the other almost impossible?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:49 AM

I did a quick google search for freebsd Brother HL-2140 and it came back with this website, it is one version behind current, follow it's steps and see if it works. http://dragula.org/blogs/502

Quote:
To install brother HL 2140 on your freebsd8 system:

Load ulpt module into your kernel (or rebuild kernel to support it)
Rebuild CUPS 1.4.2 without libusb support (try make config from /usr/ports/print/cups-base). Remember to restart cups daemon.
Install the following ports/packages: foomatic-db, foomatic-db-engine, foomatic-filters
Generate a .ppd file that uses the hl1250: go to http://www.openprinting.org/driver/hl1250/ and select your model (HL 2140)
Go to http://localhost:631/ to add your USB printer with that .ppd file
Add user to the group cups by executing pw groupmod cups -m your_user_login
Update /etc/rc.conf by adding cupsd_enable="YES"
Update /etc/devfs.rules with the following contents. Then update /etc/rc.conf by adding devfs_system_ruleset="system"
Quote:
# file: /etc/devfs.rules
[system=10]
add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups
Old 04-09-2013, 07:08 PM

I've usually had good luck using the HL1250 drivers for HL21XX series Brother printers. The HL1250 driver is included by default on just about every cups installation I've come across.

I'm not sure if it affords full printer feature functionality, but it does fine for basic printing.