Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 PM

Default usb mount
hello,

I solved this problem by mounting the usb having previously plugged in before booting PC-BSD. It's a little weird but it works as a solution. Also in the KDE Control Center! Device Management icon indicate automount usb key.
In this way, I can mount all my external disk (disk usb 3, usb disk 2 and a Samsung 250GB without problem)

When I plug in after boot on the desktop it works sometimes but not all the time. the best way connect before boot.

I Use PC-BSD 9.0

good luck
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM

Strange, in 9.0 I don't have these problems at all, only in 9.1.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM

I just fixed up the mount-tray detection algorithm so that it should be more "forgiving" and show a device that only fails one of the three checks. This should make it work just fine now for your cases (from reading through your system output).
I will take a look at the file permissions issue here soon, but for now you could always just create the new file elsewhere on your computer and then move it onto the flash drive afterwards.

As to what file manager is opened by default, it depends upon what desktop environment you are using at the time. KDE should use Dolphin, GNOME: Nautilus, XFCE: Thunar, LXDE: PCmanFM.

To update your mount-tray utility by hand, you will need to checkout the PC-BSD Qt utilities from SVN and rebuild the pc-mounttray to get the latest version (make sure you have closed the running version of the program before installing the new one). Performing this upgrade will require the "Development-Qt" system package as well as either the Subversion PBI or the "Development-VCS" system package.
Code:
svn co svn://svn.pcbsd.org/pcbsd/current/src-qt4
cd src-qt4/pc-mounttray
qmake-qt4
sudo make install clean
Let me know how it works out for you! The feedback you give helps a lot in refining this application!
The Following User Says Thank You to Beanpole For This Useful Post:
q/pa (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Thank you, Ken! Excellent work!

Here is how it worked:

- there is no automatic tray activity upon connecting flash drive
- after searching for devices the flash drive is listed
- the file permissions workaround worked like you said (or just performing all tasks as root)
- there is no automatic entry in the 'places' section in dolphin

If you need specific information, let me know.

Thanks again and bye
Christian
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by q/pa View Post
I get a little "bubble" pop-up from the tray when I plug in a device after the utility is already running. It only lasts a couple seconds, but it just displays the name of the device and "New Device Found" (or something like that). Are you not getting this little notification? What desktop environment are you using?

Quote:
Good, that means the new algorithm is working out!
Quote:
- the file permissions workaround worked like you said (or just performing all tasks as root)
Good. The file manager is being opened with user permissions, so at the moment I am not sure why it would be creating a new file with root permissions. The devices require root permissions to be mounted on the system, so it might have something to do with the root permissions on the /media/<my_disk> mount point that is causing the issue... or it could be the file manager not being smart enough to create files with the proper permissions in the first place. This will require a bit more checking to see where the problem actually originates.
Quote:
Don't expect that anytime soon. Most of the default file managers expect a "linux-like" organization and device registration system (using HAL I think) that we do not use by default on FreeBSD. This is just another one of the quirks that occur when DE's are being developed on an alternate OS and ported over to FreeBSD.
In the meantime, you should be able to just use the "Open Media Directory" option from the mount tray to easily open the /media directory.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I get a little "bubble" pop-up from the tray when I plug in a device after the utility is already running. It only lasts a couple seconds, but it just displays the name of the device and "New Device Found" (or something like that). Are you not getting this little notification? What desktop environment are you using?

No, I don't get this notification. But I tested it only with KDE yet.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Beanpole View Post
I just fixed up the mount-tray detection algorithm so that it should be more "forgiving" and show a device that only fails one of the three checks. This should make it work just fine now for your cases (from reading through your system output).
I will take a look at the file permissions issue here soon, but for now you could always just create the new file elsewhere on your computer and then move it onto the flash drive afterwards.
-snip-

To update your mount-tray utility by hand, you will need to checkout the PC-BSD Qt utilities from SVN and rebuild the pc-mounttray to get the latest version (make sure you have closed the running version of the program before installing the new one). Performing this upgrade will require the "Development-Qt" system package as well as either the Subversion PBI or the "Development-VCS" system package.
Code:
svn co svn://svn.pcbsd.org/pcbsd/current/src-qt4
cd src-qt4/pc-mounttray
qmake-qt4
sudo make install clean
Let me know how it works out for you! The feedback you give helps a lot in refining this application!
Will this update to pc-mounttray eventually make its way out through the normal update mechanism?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 AM

Hello Ken,
I have tried to test the changes you made to pc-mounttray but unfortunately I have not been successful in getting internet access throught an small usb modem device (writting and understanding scripts is a bit out of my reach). So I could not checkout from SVN. Next week I will install PC-BSD in a laptop computer, and hope the wireless access will be more easily.

As to the file permissions issue, have a look at the 19.5.2 section of the FreeBSD handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...usb-disks.html):
Quote:
19.5.2 Testing the Configuration
(Warning: Allowing untrusted users to mount arbitrary media, e.g., by enabling vfs.usermount as described below, should not be considered safe from a security point of view. Most file systems in FreeBSD were not built to safeguard against malicious devices.)

To make this device mountable as a normal user, certain steps have to be taken. First, the devices that are created when a USB storage device is connected need to be accessible by the user. A solution is to make all users of these devices a member of the operator group. This is done with pw(8). Second, when the devices are created, the operator group should be able to read and write them. This is accomplished by adding these lines to /etc/devfs.rules:
[localrules=5]
add path ’da*’ mode 0660 group operator
Perhaps instead of being root who mounts the device, it should be the normal user who must do it?

Regards,
Manuel
Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:

works as described above not only in KDE but in Gnome and xfce, too.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:36 PM

It sounds like the devd subsystem is simply not picking up that the device was attached if it is not showing up until you "rescan" for devices. I have noticed this behavior with some SD card readers before, but not with standalone USB devices (this is why I added the "rescan" option to the menu.... :-)
I do know that devd is still being finished up at the moment, with CD/DVD detection being added, so there might still be a few bugs in the their device tracking system right now. I think the answer is that we will have to wait for the next update to devd to see if these issues are resolved. You could always send your device information to the devd developer as well, that always helps to make sure that he knows about these problems and fixes them.

@Tigershark
These updates will be available with the next large system update that is coming in the next couple months. There is not currently any plan to release a bugfix patch for it, but if there is enough interest in it I will see if I can get Kris to push it out sooner.

Tags
mount tray, usb