Old 08-19-2012, 04:44 PM

Exclamation PCBSD9.1-RC1--64 several issues with in-place upgrade from 9.0
PCBSD is running on a Linux host in Vmware Workstation 8.04
o VM has 4GB of RAM

--I upgraded PCBSD9.0--64 to RC1 via the GUI Update Manager and found the following:

BIG NONO: RC1 overwrote /root/.cshrc - which I had customized. Fortunately I was able to get most of it from the editor backup~ file, but still--! Please don't go blindly overwriting stuff like that - the shell is a major interface.

Several packages that had been installed from ' pkg_add ' were missing:

joe missing - reinstalled from pkg_add
bwm-ng missing - reinst
gnu-watch missing - reinst
compat6x-amd64 missing - reinst # needed for Vmware tools
firefox missing(!) - reinst

--There are probably others; I'll have to go thru my admin log and see what else is gone.

! X not working

FIX: Had to redo ' Xorg -configure ' as root, cp xorg.conf.new over to /etc/X11 as xorg.conf

! Had to reduce VM screen size to 1280x720 or start/clockbar not visible -- before upgrade, 1440x900 mode was available; the host monitor is doing 1920x1080, so the PCBSD screen is uncomfortably small in-VM now

! ' startx ' as user gives twm with 3 xterms and an xclock
' reboot ' fixed; GDM came up OK

---

--Overall, I would say PCBSD needs more testing in Vmware. I've joined the testers mailing list and am very willing to help.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Administrator

As a follow-up, .cshrc is now excluded from upgrades:

http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/18565

Packages you install manually are overwritten during upgrades, which is why PBIs and jails are recommended instead. This may change for 9.2 but the design requires more thinking.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by drulavigne View Post
As a follow-up, .cshrc is now excluded from upgrades:

http://trac.pcbsd.org/changeset/18565

Packages you install manually are overwritten during upgrades, which is why PBIs and jails are recommended instead. This may change for 9.2 but the design requires more thinking.
here is a doubt from a new pc-bsd user who is getting his feet wet in pc-bsd and is thotoughly enjoying the experience...

i had installed 9.0 and went for an upgrade many a time but the upgrade process got stalled half way due to various reasons
a) taking way too long for the upgrade which in terms of my current internet connectivity, the connection gets lost in between... (weather conditions were too bad and my be thats a cause? dont know)
b) when i restarted the upgrade process, i get message that the system is fully upgraded but the version displayed is 9.0 and i dont see the new add-ons in the control panel that are mentioned !
c) to get into the shoes properly, i re-installed pcbsd9.0 and tried it again but due to reasons beyond my knowledge, upgrade is stalled... (the position is unchanged even after a couple of hours of waiting patiently...

i really got bugged following this process and went for a fresh re-install of 9.0 and am currently happy with what i have. i could set up my printer on the work network using the wlan0 (which was giving me nightmares earlier and which was one of a cause that kept me from booting into pcbsd at work !)

now i think almost all i need is perfectly working with only 2 major issues pending. 1) wish to setup synaptics touchpad (which i tried a couple of times and i ended up with no positive result. i edited the xorg.conf as defined in a post and pcbsd failed to boot ! it halted at mountboot> ) 2) conky with lua support (this may not be a major issue but i love to customize my conky info on the desktop... thoucg now i am settling with relative displays using the kde4 desktop and widgets. but a help in this regard will be a boon to guys who like to customize... 3) setting up bluetooth (i use a bluetooth external usb dongle and i wish to connect my phone to keep it in sync for contacts and addressbook with a phone manager like wammu. i installed wammu (first thru jail and then thru appcafe) but none helped me connect to my nokia phone.

i felt points like the one listed above may be overcome after an upgrade....
i have installed just the kde and a few apps from appcafe. can i go ahead with the install ? i had to tweak a bit to set up my printer and activate sound by adding a few lines to device hints.
can i be briefed with a usual upgrade time w.r.t connection speeds ? this question may sound stupid but getting an idea will help me decide if i can go ahead for an upgrade....

alternatively, i had also downloaded iso as well as ubs versions of the 9.1 but none took me to the gui installer ! i had to fall back to 9.0 that helped me set up with ease...

thank you in advance.... let me confess that i am thoroughly enjoying using this wonderful OS...
best regards
r v c
The Following User Says Thank You to rvc For This Useful Post:
Cousk1982 (09-30-2013)
Old 10-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Default upgraded successfully to 9.1 RC-2
just to share my experience that the upgrade to RC-2 was a smooth sailing process. Though i should admit that it took me way too long to finally land on the RC-2 (i utterly felt i ll drop the idea when i havent been able to get into RC-1) i noticed one difference in RC-2. even after frequent abortion and discontinuation of the upgrade process downloads, i could restart from where i left out. i noticed that the sysupdate.conf patchet set itself to pcbsd-mu for in complete downloads... and it continued from where it left out !
today i was able to finally set up skype (mic was giving me problems in 9.0 but with gui config in 9.2RC-1, it was a breeze setting that up)
bluetooth manager is also a blessing, i could pair my phone but am unable to browse ! have to see what config is pending !

in a nutshell, i can say.... PC-BSD-9.2RC-1 rocks ! waiting for the stable upgrade soooooon !