Old 08-13-2012, 01:05 PM

Default Programs out of Update.
Hi all, I am new here. I was using Free-BSD but I decided to install PC-BSD. My question is about updates.
Since I installed some programs, It never updates again. So for example I am using Firefox 12 and alot of programs more are out of update.
My question is also if I need to download and update Ports like in Free-BSD or is something I missed up?.
The programs that I have installed are from PBI and I am using the last version of PC-BSD. Thanks in advance..
Old 08-13-2012, 01:23 PM

For PBI's you should be getting update notifications from the AppCafe when a newer version is available for any installed PBI. Just to make sure the notifier is working properly, try right-clicking on the PC-BSD Update Notifier tray icon and click "Check for updates".

You can also manually check for updated versions of programs by opening up the AppCafe and going to the "Installed" tab, it should list any updates that are available for your installed PBI's (for instance, Firefox 14.0.1 is available right now).
Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Beanpole View Post
For PBI's you should be getting update notifications from the AppCafe when a newer version is available for any installed PBI. Just to make sure the notifier is working properly, try right-clicking on the PC-BSD Update Notifier tray icon and click "Check for updates".

You can also manually check for updated versions of programs by opening up the AppCafe and going to the "Installed" tab, it should list any updates that are available for your installed PBI's (for instance, Firefox 14.0.1 is available right now).
Well, thanks for your time. I made right-clicking on the PC-BSD Update Notifier tray icon and click "Check for updates" and It says system is upated.
And If I open AppCafe and go to installed programs It started to check program by program (including Firefox) if any update is aviable and it does not found any update.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:46 PM

This sounds like the updated index file for the repository is not getting downloaded then. I assume you do have an active internet connection, right? If so, you might want to try changing your PBI mirror in the PC-BSD System Manager then, since the mirror you are using might not be working properly at the moment.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:37 PM

This sounds like the updated index file for the repository is not getting downloaded then. I assume you do have an active internet connection, right? If so, you might want to try changing your PBI mirror in the PC-BSD System Manager then, since the mirror you are using might not be working properly at the moment.
Thanks again, and yes I have Internet connection behind a proxy, but is already working because I can find programs and install them by using the AppCafe. Also the first time that the computer started it downloaded some systems updates. So i assume that the proxy is working fine.
But I changed the mirror (I have 3) in the AppCafe and after giving root autorization I close the AppCafe and start it again so can check for updates but it still can not find any update.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:23 PM

That explains it. The PC-BSD 9.0 release had a couple bugs related to the PBI repository system and having the system behind a proxy. You will probably need to upgrade to the new/upcoming PC-BSD 9.1-RC1 testing image, as that should fix this issue.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM

That explains it. The PC-BSD 9.0 release had a couple bugs related to the PBI repository system and having the system behind a proxy. You will probably need to upgrade to the new/upcoming PC-BSD 9.1-RC1 testing image, as that should fix this issue.
Ok, thank you very much.