Old 07-14-2012, 07:32 PM

Default PCBSD 9.1 dlna server with transcoding in ports jail
The main purpose of this was to be able to playback Video's inside of devices like my xbox 360 using the built-in my videos appp, iPad using air player, VLC, etc and have the server process and transcode them. For example .mkvs are not supported on the xbox or ipad. So the program I will be using, serviio fixes this problem by transcoding them on the server for you using FFMPEG.

There is also a pbi for serviio. However it won't launch without diablo-jdk being installed. The problem with installing diablo-jdk in PCBSD to make the pbi work is that it will likely get wiped out with an upgrade. So I've been looking for a better more out of the box solution that doesn't require the diablo package. I've tried ushare but it doesn't transcode. XBOX media center requires metadata. The new ports jail in the upcoming PCBSD 9.1 snapshot allowed me to create a jail specifically for serviio. That I could snapshot. Later delete if I move to something else. Also the big thing for me was that if I had just installed a port in PCBSD it would be deleted if it were not jailed by the time I upgraded releases. With the ability to create multiple ports jails for different uses I won't have this problem anymore.

Using the latest snapshot of 9.1 I created a ports jail under the warden that would allow to mount my home directories inside of a jail.

After creating the ports jail I installed a couple of ports

/usr/ports/sysutils/portmaster
/usr/ports/editors/nano

then i compiled serviio
portmaster --force-config -d /usr/ports/net/serviio

at some point the port will stop and complain that it needs diablo-jdk

you can right click the file in terminal and copy the link to download in a browser. After that you just have to copy the file to /usr/ports/distfiles/
and resume the install by doing
portmaster --force-config -d /usr/ports/net/serviio

after this is done. from the warden you can run the command serviio-console graphically by clicking the launch termiinal button. then you can set up your shared video's directories and watch the movies from your xbox 360, etc. The program itself will be installed in the jail. The video's can be stored in your home directories, or other storage directories on your server.

One important thing to note is that you cannot launch multiple copies of serviio on the same system. I found out from using the servo forums that this absolutely does not work. I've wasted many hours trying. I have tried to create mutiple ports jails serviio and it does not work. It will break both installations. To solve the problem which is the reason I wanted to jails. For example I wanted to have user-videos and user2-videos show up on my xbox 360. The way I get around this is by naming the videos folders in the home directories user-videos and user2-videos instead of sharing out Videos.

I just started doing these guides as I go. I have originally been using FreeBSD as my fileserver for years and years. But I've seen some features in the upcoming release of PCBSD that will benefit me to switch to it, solve a lot of my current roadblocks, and overall make things easier to replicate. So I will post how I am doing my setup for my uses as I go.

Last edited by malco_2001; 07-15-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:08 AM

If an admin could re title this thread at some point I should have titled it to make it more descriptive. Maybe something like...

PCBSD 9.1 dlna server with transcoding in ports jail for XBOX 360, PS3, iPad VLC etc.