Old 07-04-2012, 04:24 AM

Default Updating From XTerm
Howdy Yall;
I have been a longtime user of *nix, and felt like taking a new path. So I decided to start with the easiest/most user friendly bsd around. No problems with the installation (took about 10mins for me). However I use to opening up the term (ctrl + alt + t), and just typing
Code:
sudo apt-get command
how can I do anything of the sorts from the command line. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 AM

Well, basic commands are of course pretty much the same.
For upgrading the system, it depends a little on how you are going to proceed. In generale the pc-* commands open/do PCBSD strictly related stuff, so I guess the right name for a full system upgrade is pc-updatemanager or something like that (I don't have a vm to test it right now). Then there is the ports tree, you should have a look at the FreeBSD handbook for that, but in short you cna upgrade using portmaster or tools alike. And then are packages (pkg_* commands) and PBIs (pbi-* commands).
Having a look at the handbook will make a few doubts disappear.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 PM

Thank you; I used the pc-updater -Update and it returned no results so I am assuming that there are no updates currently

But I would really like to update my python to 3.2, is there anyway to specifically update one program?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 AM

If python has been installed from ports, then upgrading the ports tree and running a portmaster will upgrade your installation. If it has installed from packages, then you have to remove the package and install the new one. I guess it is the same for PBIs.
So the first thing to check is what version is available.