Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 PM

Default PC-BSD LINUX COMPATIBILITY LAYER
Hi guys
I'm just curious to know how many version of "Linux" compatibility layer exist for PC-BSD (Freebsd) and if exist a team that develop this layer!.

I'm interested in documentation too (only simply doc due that I'm a completely newbie) about the different release of the linux layer and about the fix.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-02-2005, 01:56 PM

I know crap-all about it, but here's something at least.

As far as I know there is
RedHat 7.3, 8 and 9 (linux_base is rh7.3, linux_base-8 is rh8)
Suse 9.1, 9.2, 9.3
Debian (some version, has it updated since release? :)
Gentoo (kinky image for building/emerging gentoo - not a release in itself)

So far, from my fun with getting UT2004 to execute I've found this:

rh 7 uses has no libgcc_s, and uses libc-2.2.5.so (old) and libstdc++ 2.7-2.9
rh8 uses libgcc_s-3.2-20020903.so.1, libc-2.3.2.so, and libstdc++.so.5.0.1

I "think" most errors starting newer linux programs will occur here: libstdc++.so.5 -> libstdc++.so.5.0.1

see below

The -> sign means "is link to"

rh8
/usr/lib
libstdc++.so.5 -> libstdc++.so.5.0.1 (this is the BIG one missing in RH7)
libstdc++.so.2.7.2 -> libstdc++.so.2.7.2.8
libstdc++.so.2.8 -> libstdc++.so.2.8.0
libstdc++.so.2.9 -> libstdc++.so.2.9.dummy
libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 -> libstdc++-2-libc6.1-1-2.9.0.so

/lib
libgcc_s.so.1 -> libgcc_s-3.2-20020903.so.1
libc.so.6 -> libc-2.3.2.so

rh7
/usr/lib
libstdc++.so.2.7.2 -> libstdc++.so.2.7.2.8
libstdc++.so.2.8 -> libstdc++.so.2.8.0
libstdc++.so.2.9 -> libstdc++.so.2.9.dummy
libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 -> libstdc++-2-libc6.1-1-2.9.0.so
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 -> libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so

/lib
libgcc_s.so.1 -> Not exist in rh7?
libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.5.so

Not much help, but it's a start: )
Old 12-02-2005, 05:25 PM

Here are some more oddities.

PC-BSD rc1 uses RH7
PC-BSD 0.8 has a PBI to add compat but it used RH8 and the linux-XFree86 libs packages (RH7 has some X already in it - RH8 does not and adds it with another package)

(I edited out a chunk of crap here that only releated to the dodgy rc1 i was using - I redownloaded the ISO and it became a non issue)

NOT RECOMMENDED - JUST WHAT I DID IN VMWARE!!!!!!!

Go to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports ... elease/All

and download to a directory

linux_base-8-8.0_6
linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.99.902_3.tbz
linux-fontconfig-2.1_3.tbz
linux-expat-1.95.5_3.tbz

Open a konsole as cd to that directory

su
umount /usr/compat/linux/proc
pkg_delete linux_base-rh-7.3
rm -r /compat/linux/proc
rm -r /compat/linux/

pkg_add linux_base-8-8.0_6.tbz
pkg_add linux-expat-1.95.5_3.tbz
pkg_add linux-fontconfig-2.1_3.tbz
pkg_add linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.99.902_3.tbz

YAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem now is I don't want to do this to my REAL hradware install of PC-BSD1.0rc1 as it needs to remain instact for testing, and I'm running out of space - I still have 0.8 installed on the other partition for back testing as well. Good news is .. UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2004 IS STARTING TO RUN - YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Does that help Amigamerlin?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Linux Comaptibility.
Thanks Sblevin.
As you know I've installed the old linux compatibility layer ( .PBI). How is composed this PBI ... and should I install the package in the way that you wrote?
If I install this package I can have benefit?

Ciao and thanks again !!
Old 12-04-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Linux Comaptibility.
Originally Posted by Amigamerlin
Thanks Sblevin.
As you know I've installed the old linux compatibility layer ( .PBI). How is composed this PBI ... and should I install the package in the way that you wrote?

Ciao and thanks again !!
The Compat pbi was, I believe, actually all the freebsd 5.4 packages required to install the RH8 and linux-XFree86 libs (there were a couple of dependencies. I think that version of the compat (the PBI version) was not a pure pbi, but in fact extraxted all the required pkackages and used pkg_add to install them on the system. Perfectly valid imho for system level alterations, but "could" lead to problems of it's own. I've been experimenting with a "Compat Switcher" That installs the RH8+Xlibs NEXT to the existing RH7 compat, and allows you to switch between then (with a reboot at this point).

So far the only need I have for the RH8 compat is to play Unreal engine games, like UT that requires later versions of the some C libs than are installed in the default RH7 base on PC-BSD1.0rc1 release. The demo extractor from the game company still crashes, but I'm over/around that now by installing in PC-BSD 0.8 and copying the files to rc1, then repackaging.

I would hold off mangling your system just yet ... play Doom3 again with the difficulty turned up or something : ) I've tested the Java and Opera with flash PBI's and they appear to work just fine under RH8 compat in PC-BSD.

There is a way to hard remove the existing RH7 compat ans replace it with the RH8, but it will leave you with a system that is quite a custom jobby. If you STILL want to do it, for testing or just want it, repost here and I'll give you the steps required to do a FULL remoce/replace (as the pkg_delete command forgets to unmount the linprocfs and leaves heaps of stuff behind that really doesn't feel ritgh installing over the top og.

It's your call.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by sblevin
Originally Posted by Amigamerlin
Thanks Sblevin.

Ciao and thanks again !!
The Compat pbi was, I believe, actually all the freebsd 5.4 packages required to install the RH8 and linux-XFree86 libs (there were a couple of dependencies. I think that version of the compat (the PBI version) was not a pure pbi, but in fact extraxted all the required pkackages and used pkg_add to install them on the system. Perfectly valid imho for system level alterations, but "could" lead to problems of it's own. I've been experimenting with a "Compat Switcher" That installs the RH8+Xlibs NEXT to the existing RH7 compat, and allows you to switch between then (with a reboot at this point).

So far the only need I have for the RH8 compat is to play Unreal engine games, like UT that requires later versions of the some C libs than are installed in the default RH7 base on PC-BSD1.0rc1 release. The demo extractor from the game company still crashes, but I'm over/around that now by installing in PC-BSD 0.8 and copying the files to rc1, then repackaging.

I would hold off mangling your system just yet ... play Doom3 again with the difficulty turned up or something : ) I've tested the Java and Opera with flash PBI's and they appear to work just fine under RH8 compat in PC-BSD.

There is a way to hard remove the existing RH7 compat ans replace it with the RH8, but it will leave you with a system that is quite a custom jobby. If you STILL want to do it, for testing or just want it, repost here and I'll give you the steps required to do a FULL remoce/replace (as the pkg_delete command forgets to unmount the linprocfs and leaves heaps of stuff behind that really doesn't feel ritgh installing over the top og.

It's your call.
Why not use Gentoo compat layer? Gentooers did very good job at optimizing and packaging linux programs and even have version of Gentoo that run on FreeBSD kernel. :twisted:
Old 12-04-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by antik
Why not use Gentoo compat layer? Gentooers did very good job at optimizing and packaging linux programs and even have version of Gentoo that run on FreeBSD kernel. :twisted:
I would think that would work best. You could just download an ebuild and let emerge install it for you...

Off to try that now.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by sblevin
Here are some more oddities.

PC-BSD rc1 uses RH7
PC-BSD 0.8 has a PBI to add compat but it used RH8 and the linux-XFree86 libs packages (RH7 has some X already in it - RH8 does not and adds it with another package)

(I edited out a chunk of crap here that only releated to the dodgy rc1 i was using - I redownloaded the ISO and it became a non issue)

NOT RECOMMENDED - JUST WHAT I DID IN VMWARE!!!!!!!

Go to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports ... elease/All

and download to a directory

linux_base-8-8.0_6
linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.99.902_3.tbz
linux-fontconfig-2.1_3.tbz
linux-expat-1.95.5_3.tbz

Open a konsole as cd to that directory

su
umount /usr/compat/linux/proc
pkg_delete linux_base-rh-7.3
rm -r /compat/linux/proc
rm -r /compat/linux/

pkg_add linux_base-8-8.0_6.tbz
pkg_add linux-expat-1.95.5_3.tbz
pkg_add linux-fontconfig-2.1_3.tbz
pkg_add linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.99.902_3.tbz

YAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem now is I don't want to do this to my REAL hradware install of PC-BSD1.0rc1 as it needs to remain instact for testing, and I'm running out of space - I still have 0.8 installed on the other partition for back testing as well. Good news is .. UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2004 IS STARTING TO RUN - YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Does that help Amigamerlin?
Ciao Sblevin,
just a little update...

I changed the HD to have more space and installed PC-BSd from scratch. I removed the current linux layer and installed the RH8 Abi linux Layer using the procedure quoted here.

UT2004 (old installer), Skype 1.2.0.18, America's Army (based on UT2004 installer) , RTCW (old installer) , RTCW Enemy Territory (old installer) continue to work for me !! Today I'm going to reinstall Doom3 (old installer) and Quake4 (based on Doom3 old installer) and I'll let you know.

Bye

PS. Happy new year to all !!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:15 AM

just reading over, as it is very late here, 5am, after trying to open/install linux_base_rh_9 to no avail, I can't think of what else to do now. I am told I need this version for the battlefield 2 server, as it needs something generated by that particular version. I am too new to bsd, and have never touched *nix before, so I just can't figure out what i am doing wrong/not doing. I couldn't even get the dern zip file unzipped. everytime i tried ark or gzip it would either turn it into a .gz or say zip not in PATH please install it or ask admin. Whatever that means?
Anyway, after fresh install/patch and letting my windows machine unzip it and spending a couple hours finding out why pcbsd won't recognize anything past the windows computers network name, but not folders or users, I had to use my windows machine to send the file back over to pcbsd. then I installed the BF2 server file with install script, and now when i use the ./ start.sh in konsole , I get errors saying that it is missing the file it needs from linux_base_rh_9 . but I have the source rpm file for that downloaded, just can't install it. And I had to get it from google as the only notes i found from freebsd's website, stated that it was removed from the ftp site as it wasn't updated.
sorry if this sounds like a rant, it isn't. I would love some help, and also, i want to try and keep track of what all i got accomplished so far
oh and happy new year!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by B3CK
just reading over, as it is very late here, 5am, after trying to open/install linux_base_rh_9 to no avail, I can't think of what else to do now. I am told I need this version for the battlefield 2 server, as it needs something generated by that particular version. I am too new to bsd, and have never touched *nix before, so I just can't figure out what i am doing wrong/not doing. I couldn't even get the dern zip file unzipped. everytime i tried ark or gzip it would either turn it into a .gz or say zip not in PATH please install it or ask admin. Whatever that means?
Anyway, after fresh install/patch and letting my windows machine unzip it and spending a couple hours finding out why pcbsd won't recognize anything past the windows computers network name, but not folders or users, I had to use my windows machine to send the file back over to pcbsd. then I installed the BF2 server file with install script, and now when i use the ./ start.sh in konsole , I get errors saying that it is missing the file it needs from linux_base_rh_9 . but I have the source rpm file for that downloaded, just can't install it. And I had to get it from google as the only notes i found from freebsd's website, stated that it was removed from the ftp site as it wasn't updated.
sorry if this sounds like a rant, it isn't. I would love some help, and also, i want to try and keep track of what all i got accomplished so far
oh and happy new year!
Hi,
I think Sblevin can answer you a lot better than me!. He is an expert about.
Anyway RH9 compatibility is available as .PBI at this address. I used it in my previous PC-BSD (installed in my previous HD) and I don't have had any kind of problem.

You can try installing it, if you want, but without warranty. As I said I used it so far but seems that I was the only guy that installed it with success.

Here the address where you can download it :
http://www.pbidir.com/packages.php?code ... d88f6a4418

Meantime ... yesterday night I installed Quake4 and again the ID installer does the job fairly without lockup. I've build the Game installer too as .PBI.

This night I'll install Doom3 And Doom3 Resurrection of evil (old PBI).

Bye