Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 AM

Smile ACER TimeLine...Hangs at Boot
Hello everyone,

I am very new to *BSD's and I have been trying to install PC-BSD 9 (64bit), 4 times now,

1) When booting from Live DVD takes about 7 minutes (I've tried 3 diferent DVD's & burned at low speeds and always the same result)

2) Installation goes pretty smooth but slow about 40 minutes (bare system Gnome + OpenBox)

3) After restarting system & removing media from drive, the system hangs at BIOS Splash Screen, with an unusable system, I can't access BIOS, I can't do Ctrl-Alt-Del! At this stage I can't do anything. I have tried removing Ram memory, disconnected mouse, USB hub...nothing works!!! In order to make my computer work again I have to take the HDD out and format-it via USB with Gparted.

Any help and/or guidance towards possible ways of fixing this problem is highly appreciated!! I really would love to try PC-BSD as I have been following this distro for quite some time and have seen the inmmense progress PC-BSD has made and would love to make it my Primary OS. My laptop details are below.

ACER TimeLine 4810TZ (64bit)
4GB DDR3 Ram | 500 GB HDD | Intel Pentium Core Duo SU2700 1.3GHz
Intel GMA 4500MHD
Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/Draft-N

Thank you!!!

Last edited by lrcaballero; 04-17-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 AM

I believe there is a bug in the BIOS of some Acer models.

We had a thread here a few days ago which might be the same problem. Check this out.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:50 PM

@ Ole Juul,

Thank you on your response, just to add more to the previous thread you sent me, I am using the entire Disk, I am not dual booting with any other OS, I want absolutely PC-BSD on my HDD. Also, I did partitioned my HDD to MBR and I have installed FreeBSD 8 & 9 on the same laptop successfully, where I failed was to customized my system to liking....hahahaha! I wanted Openbox, Feh, OBMenu, Tint2, Conky and ALL that good stuff, I guess I am to much of a newbie for NOW. I migrated from ArchBang! (Archlinux + Openbox).

So at this time I should wait for future releases of PC-BSD?

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Luis
Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM

This has been a great deal of problem to acer. I have an acer laptop once all the hardwares are working perfectly. I think it is the wattage of the battery than consumes the power on the moving mechanisms in the laptop. If your laptop is about 2 yrs old consider buying a new one.

Chicago Laptop Repair

Last edited by milesroces; 05-07-2012 at 03:39 PM.