Old 04-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Default Why PC-BSD Sucks
I thought that it might be interesting to try Linux's 'cousin', UNIX.

First, I downloaded the USB Full Install image and burned the image to a usb flash drive.

After booting from the drive, the installer appeared, and asked me to select a time zone. so far so good

Next, I selected the drive to install onto, the packages I wanted, set the system password, and made a user account.

I came back an hour later, and found that the installer had stopped midway, it was stuck installing the GNOME package, but i waited a few minutes more before rebooting the computer.

On my next install, i installed LXDE and XFCE, (because i hate KDE Heresy! Heresy! )

After I was finally able to install PC-BSD, and booted to the login screen, I found . . . . . NO USER ACCOUNT!

I think that this is the point which a new user goes back to his/her 'other os'.

Anyway, being somewhat *nix savvy, I typed root, and logged in.

I opened the 'PC-BSD Control Panel' and clicked on the 'User Manager' . . . . . nothing! I single-clicked, double-clicked, and triple-clicked!

After about 10 minutes I was getting tired of clicking, <lol> so I opened a terminal, typed adduser, and set things up that way.

Not a good first impression on a first time user.

So i logged in with my new account, running XFCE.

After a little while of playing around with the desktop, I plugged in a usb drive.

And Nothing happened!

No drive icon appeared on the desktop.

Nothing in the file manager either.

Reading up on this, i found that XFCE uses udev in linux, but having no udev support under BSD, drives are auto mounted using a PC-BSD script.

Well, this script must not have been working properly.

So I started up LXDE and was able to read my files off the usb drive.

I opened a mp3 but found out that with my choice of desktops there were no media players!

I decided to reinstall PC-BSD with everything set to the default, which was KDE. I hate KDE!

I still had the same trouble with the user accounts.

At least my drives automounted this time.

I opened an mp3 again, hoping that some music would help my PC-BSD caused headache.

NO SOUND!

NO ****ing SOUND!

<sigh>

I opened the PC-BSD control panel and found nothing on sound or audio at all.

I read the help files and found nothing on sound.

Maybe the PC-BSD programmers are all deaf?

I didn't know this was a distro for the deaf.

BTW, MY SOUND CARD IS A GENERIC AC'97 SOUND CARD USED IN BILLIONS OF PC'S, AND EVERY DESKTOP LINUX DISTRO THAT I HAVE TRIED, WHICH IS SO MANY THAT CAN'T REMEMBER, HAS A DRIVER FOR IT!

You might ask why i didn't open a terminal and start typing arcane commands into it and 'make things work'.

Because I sometimes like things to just work, esp. with a supposely n00b friendly desktop system.

At this point, I decided to go back to my 'other' system, Puppy Linux 5.2.8.

Which works great out of the box, with all hardware support, except for the latest video card drivers, which were easily installed.

Also look at the difference in size, PC-BSD (3280 MB), vs Puppy Linux (125 MB)

Puppy Linux even has more apps installed out of the box than PC-BSD.

TTFN,

Zeph3r
Old 04-09-2012, 04:57 PM

With user accounts when you are installing have to press the add button to add name and password. I did that myself first time installing and obtained the same results you have obtained.

Yes the file size and structure of PCBSD is quite large compared to other operating systems. As I am new to it(also have issues to work out) I am just starting to realize the potential of it. That aspect is great. Of course getting used to new commands and PCBSD's different way of handling things is not a simple task.

I really suggest to search through a lot of the wiki articles concerning PCBSD to get more of an understanding of it. I am also guilty of knocking it, because I am upset I can't clear my connectivity issue up. Please look thru the adobe type book that appears on screen to find the correct command to view your hardware. Is an epub. Once you fine the command use it the copy results to notepad and post. This will insure someone will understand the problem and be of more assistance.

As I say am new to PCBSD also(2 days over 2 weeks) so am still learning and refuse to stop. I just think will be better for you to learn some more and give it another try. Please don't get frustrated I am sure one of us will come up with a solution on here.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 AM

Default linux , pcbsd
Oddly, a few years back I had the same issues you had, but with trying to install mainstream well supported linux operating systems on my soon to be new server.

PC-BSD installed and worked well. It's been running ever since. Certain aspects are complex, but worthwhile. It's big, but remember, freeBSD has full linux emulation support built in that can run linux stuff even faster than linux! And PC-BSD has a default portjail configuration. These sorts of things make the distro bigger.

That said, if you have an easy linux OS you like and it works for you, stick with it, and if you want to check out PC-BSD, put it on a less important box and play with it.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 AM

The battle repeats over time....BSD is better than Linux.... no Linux is.....

I admit that I'm getting some problems with PCBSD, like my screen backligth not working properly, but I'm really happy of this operating system since it gives me back what Linux did a few years ago: the power to do whatever I want and to learn what I'm doing.
This is my personal opinion.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 AM

Everything sucks. It's not just PC-BSD, it's all operating systems. I've tried lots of them (except MS-Windows), even Minix3 (it's getting there!) and they have all caused me great frustration at some point. Since I'm not paying anything, and riding on the coattails of other people and their hard work, I try to keep it to myself as much as I can - but it is indeed not always easy. However, I have found several solutions:
  1. Do without the program that's giving me a hassle.
  2. Install something else. (There's lots of choices)

The second choice is particularly effective in a situation such as the OP was experiencing, when I can't get the basics to work.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Zeph3r View Post
I thought that it might be interesting to try Linux's 'cousin', UNIX.
Linux was derived from UNIX, which makes Linux more the 'bastard child' of UNIX than it's 'cousin'.
Quote:
At this point, I decided to go back to my 'other' system, Puppy Linux 5.2.8.

Which works great out of the box, with all hardware support, except for the latest video card drivers, which were easily installed.

Also look at the difference in size, PC-BSD (3280 MB), vs Puppy Linux (125 MB)

Puppy Linux even has more apps installed out of the box than PC-BSD.

TTFN,

Zeph3r
I've tried puppy Linux and while I too had a list of things I found wrong with it, posting a thread on their board telling them how it sucked seemed childish to me.

Last edited by Weixiong; 04-10-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Weixiong View Post
Linux was derived from UNIX, which makes Linux more the 'bastard child' of UNIX than it's 'cousin'.

Since Thorvalds copied ideas and not actual code, how about we call it "inspired by" instead.

Quote:
I've tried puppy Linux, as far back as 2002 and recently as last month, and while I too had a list of things I found wrong with it, posting a thread on their board telling them how it sucked seemed childish to me.

Aw, go on. Tell them Zeph3r sent you.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 AM

I couldn't actually remember how far back it was when I used it, but it was fairly new and wrote it to a 100MB Zip disk.

I've used Wary as recently as last month.

Last edited by Weixiong; 04-10-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
Everything sucks. It's not just PC-BSD, it's all operating systems.
Right, everything sucks, the whole word sucks since I'm not as cute and intelligent as I wish I am.....
Come on, let be serious here. What about start to think that is not product X that sucks, but simply that it does not fit your way of thinking/playing/acting?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by fluca1978 View Post
Right, everything sucks, the whole word sucks since I'm not as cute and intelligent as I wish I am.....
Come on, let be serious here. What about start to think that is not product X that sucks, but simply that it does not fit your way of thinking/playing/acting?
That's what I've found too. If my "way of thinking/playing/acting" is the more important then I will persevere for a long time. If it is not, I just install another OS. I have a few favourites to chose from and find that often, to just get a machine going, it is as simple as choosing one of those and all is good again. Banging my head against a wall and saying "an OS sucks" has not been productive in my experience, and just takes the focus away from the reality, which is that I am unable, or unwilling, to deal with the situation. I can't really blame others for that.