Old 04-04-2012, 05:25 AM

Default How can I re-install KDE?
A number of KDE programs are not working any more and since I don't know how to resolve the problem, I think it might be a good solution to reinstall KDE. Is that a good plan, and if so, what is the best method?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:44 AM

ole juul

how about reinstalling the

inoperative programs?

if other programs are working

it might not be the KDE desktop.

Have A Nice Day!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by pbu View Post
how about reinstalling the inoperative programs?
if other programs are working it might not be the KDE desktop.

That's a very good idea, and I certainly don't know what the real problem is. However, there is no PBI, or even port for Kate or Konqueror. These programs are bundled with the desktop.

Also, KDE will not start at all, as I posted about in an earlier thread. Since there was no answer, I thought I would rephrase the question. Fluxbox is almost as good, but the programs are needed.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:15 PM

ole juul

there's always reinstalling PC-BSD.

there's a chapter on it in

'Definitive Guide'.

actually it's 'Installing Updates'.

you could install different browser and

forget Konqueror, maybe it's not supposed to

be a permanent program.

Have A Nice Day!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 PM

@Ole Juul --

PC-BSD Control Panel > System Manager > (root password) > System Packages

KDE (or any other DE) can be installed/removed/reinstalled from this tab. Check which mirror you're using first & possibly change the default.

If you need to launch this from Fluxbox (which should be installed by default and is accessible via the login screen's panel), you can launch the Control Panel or run:
# pc-sysmanager

I hope this helps!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by bds View Post
PC-BSD Control Panel > System Manager > (root password) > System Packages
KDE (or any other DE) can be installed/removed/reinstalled from this tab. Check which mirror you're using first & possibly change the default.
If you need to launch this from Fluxbox (which should be installed by default and is accessible via the login screen's panel), you can launch the Control Panel or run:
# pc-sysmanager
I hope this helps!
I tried that (thanks for info) but it is not a solution. The result is that it interprets the installation of KDE as a removal of XFCE!
Code:
Removing Meta-Package XFCE
At that point it stalls. I'm not going to bother checking if that is a sources problem (I recently set that up) because this does not seem to lead in the right direction.

Fluxbox is just fine and my wife is used to using that. The KDE desktop is not really needed since it doesn't add much functionality in this particular case. However some KDE programs are very desirable. Also, Firefox cannot close once opened so there is definitely a mismatch of dependencies which I don't know how to fix. I'm afraid of dealing with this FreeBSD style using ports because it might break things further.

So. Since I am an amateur and lack the skills needed here, I'm just going to wait and hope that there is an update soon that will fix this. Otherwise I will re-install (yet again!) and perhaps even go back to FreeBSD since that seems a little simpler for my purposes.

Thanks,
Ole
Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 AM

My problems are solved. I removed KDE4 by using the ports. However it appears that the KDE DE and associated programs (which is the part I wanted) came back when I did a complete upgrade. My plan had been to install a minimal KDE after deleting, but it appears that portmanager considered KDE still installed. I did it this way:

Quote:
# portmanager -u

It took some time, 5 or 6 hours, but I think it was worth it. This way everything is new, but all data remains, although it was backed up first - just in case. Things look fine (Kate opens!) but I haven't checked everything yet because it's about 4 in the morning. Tomorrow I'll check if Firefox will close, but I've got faith that it's all better.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
Tomorrow I'll check if Firefox will close, but I've got faith that it's all better.
Are you talking about the Firefox indicator in the taskbar not disappearing after you close Firefox?

That's been happening to me lately and the only way to ge it to disappear has been to open the KDE menu. That seems to make it close like it should have when the browser closed, right-clicking on it and choosing close has no effect.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Weixiong View Post
Are you talking about the Firefox indicator in the taskbar not disappearing after you close Firefox?

That's been happening to me lately and the only way to ge it to disappear has been to open the KDE menu. That seems to make it close like it should have when the browser closed, right-clicking on it and choosing close has no effect.

FF simply won't close. The solution is to kill the process. That, by the way, is about the only thing which didn't get fixed by reinstalling all the ports.

The bad news is that the update manager said there were updates after that. Letting it do its updates has resulted in the same situation as before. KDE won't open and the KDE apps are dysfunctional. As before everything else (including printing) works in Fluxbox.

I'm going to re-install KDE from the ports (again) and hope that works. If it does, I will stay away from the update manager after that.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:58 AM

Hmm, both KDE4 and KDE3 ports and packages say they are not installed, so I can't uninstall either of them. Interesting, because before this morning's update, KDE worked. I wish I had some idea about how to install KDE properly, but it seems like an uncommon topic.

I was trying to be very careful and conservative on this system, but at this point I'm going to just take a wild stab at it and install the KDE3 port. I realize that the problem could be QT libraries but I have no idea how to deal with that.