Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM

Lightbulb Tmux and tmux.conf
I have /usr/local/etc/tmux.conf which is normaly used but not with this PBI.

From normaly man tmux

Specify an alternative configuration file. By default, tmux loads the system configuration file from /usr/local/etc/tmux.conf, if present, ...

From PBI man tmux

Specify an alternative configuration file. By default, tmux loads the system configuration file from /usr/pbi/tmux-amd64/etc/tmux.conf, if present, ...

But nothing is here

ls /usr/pbi/tmux-amd64/etc/ | grep tmux.conf
Exit 1

Mine tmux.conf which is present in

ls /usr/local/etc | grep tmux.conf
tmux.conf

is only usable if I start PBI Tmux with

tmux -f /usr/local/etc/tmux.conf
Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 PM

That is correct, tmux requires a configuration file in order to run, but does not come with a sample tmux.conf file for us to copy into the appropriate location during intall. Would you mind sending your tmux.conf to the pbi-dev mailing list? I could add that into the PBI as our "default" tmux configuration to make it simple for other to use it as well.

Otherwise, you just need to copy your desired tmux.conf into the PBI folder (/usr/pbi/tmux-(i386 or amd64)/etc/ ) to have it working without specifying an alternate location for your configuration file.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Just to follow up, we now have a "default" tmux.conf within the PBI now, thanks to nemysis. It should be there once the PBI rebuilds here soon.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 AM

Apologies for reviving an old thread. But I believe the earlier decision regarding tmux.conf was flawed and that the tmux PBI should not provide any sort of default /usr/pbi/tmux-amd64/etc/tmux.conf

I've been using tmux straight from Ports (in other FreeBSD desktops) for quite some time, and just recently started using tmux via the PBI. It confused me that the PBI'd tmux behaved differently than default tmux described in the man page (/usr/pbi/tmux-amd64/man/man1/tmux.1.gz). For example, the PBI'd tmux uses ctrl-a as the general control key (as used by screen) rather than ctrl-b (the tmux default described in the man page).

The PBI's /usr/pbi/tmux-amd64/etc/tmux.conf reflects a number of personal custom tweaks from nemysis. Each to their own, I have no problem with local customisation. But this is not the way to do it, particularly since it deviates from documented tmux behaviour.

In practice, the PBI doesn't actually need to provide /usr/pbi/tmux-amd64/etc/tmux.conf in order for tmux to function correctly. By default the PBI'd tmux looks at ~/.tmux.conf for localised customisations (if it exists) and then /usr/pbi/tmux-amd64/etc/tmux.conf for system-wide customisations (if it exists). If neither file exists, tmux uses compiled-in defaults for everything.

Simply removing /usr/pbi/tmux-amd64/etc/tmux.conf re-enables documented default tmux behaviour. I suggest future versions of the PBI remove this file (particularly as end-users can always add their own ~/.tmux.conf).

(One of the other things altered by /usr/pbi/tmux-amd64/etc/tmux.conf is the ability to highlight-and-copy from tmux sessions inside Konsole windows. This works under default tmux settings, but is mysteriously non-functional with the PBI'd config file as far as I can see.)

cheers,
gja
The Following User Says Thank You to gja For This Useful Post:
Alvin (05-16-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM

Thank you for pointing this out gja!
We had added our own "default" configuration file because the program simply would not run without it, but it sounds like the tmux developers finally built-in a set of defaults to allow the program to work without the configuration file now.
I just remove the config file from our PBI module and set it to rebuild, so we should be returning to the "default" behavior after this next PBI gets released.

Thanks again!