Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-06-2012, 01:45 AM
Ole Juul Ole Juul is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Coalmont, BC, Canada
Posts: 284
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default virtuoso-t and nepomuks - CPU usage
On a new PC-BSD 9.0 64bit install I noticed that the HDD light was a little too busy when the machine was not in use. Looking at the system monitor I see that virtuoso-t is taking 11-23% CPU. Since this is a dual core machine with 8GB RAM I would not expect background processes to use that much. I notice too that nepomuks has at least 6 entries and one of them is running at 7% CPU usage.

I then noticed an icon in the lower right which allowed me to "turn off indexing" - which I did. That stopped the virtuoso-t and nepomuks usage but dbus-daemon went to 49% although it finally slowed down to normal.

One would think that "indexing" would be finished after a day or so. Perhaps it's stuck in a loop and indexing the index ... lol. In any case, something is very wrong here.

Does anybody have any idea of what is going on?

PS: Another result of stopping indexing is that Konqueror won't open. In addition, upon restarting indexing, Dolphin won't open either. Also, after closing Firefox, it won't open again. After rebooting, the indexing icon is gone (good riddance!) and things are almost normal. I have a suspicion that all this indexing is not working correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-06-2012, 02:35 AM
Ole Juul Ole Juul is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Coalmont, BC, Canada
Posts: 284
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default
I just wanted to add that nepomuks reports 610MB in the nepomuks store. Since there has only been a partial restore from backup at this point there are only 91660 files in the ~/Documents directory, so it looks like nepomuks is just running amok.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Ole Juul Ole Juul is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Coalmont, BC, Canada
Posts: 284
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default
I disabled nepomuk semantic desktop and strigi desktop file indexing and that seemed to do the trick. A significant side effect of that was that Konqueror no longer crashes, which it has been doing since 8.0. I'm actually (more than) a little irritated that nepomuk and strigi and associated programs are included and turned on. They don't do anything positive for users. Not everybody knows that they are the ones causing the trouble, and finding how to turn them off is not obvious either.

Here's how:

Go to settings -> system settings -> click desktop search
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 2005-2010, The PC-BSD Project. PC-BSD and the PC-BSD logo are registered trademarks of iXsystems.
All other content is freely available for sharing under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License.