Old 02-06-2012, 01:45 AM

Default virtuoso-t and nepomuks - CPU usage
On a new PC-BSD 9.0 64bit install I noticed that the HDD light was a little too busy when the machine was not in use. Looking at the system monitor I see that virtuoso-t is taking 11-23% CPU. Since this is a dual core machine with 8GB RAM I would not expect background processes to use that much. I notice too that nepomuks has at least 6 entries and one of them is running at 7% CPU usage.

I then noticed an icon in the lower right which allowed me to "turn off indexing" - which I did. That stopped the virtuoso-t and nepomuks usage but dbus-daemon went to 49% although it finally slowed down to normal.

One would think that "indexing" would be finished after a day or so. Perhaps it's stuck in a loop and indexing the index ... lol. In any case, something is very wrong here.

Does anybody have any idea of what is going on?

PS: Another result of stopping indexing is that Konqueror won't open. In addition, upon restarting indexing, Dolphin won't open either. Also, after closing Firefox, it won't open again. After rebooting, the indexing icon is gone (good riddance!) and things are almost normal. I have a suspicion that all this indexing is not working correctly.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:35 AM

I just wanted to add that nepomuks reports 610MB in the nepomuks store. Since there has only been a partial restore from backup at this point there are only 91660 files in the ~/Documents directory, so it looks like nepomuks is just running amok.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM

I disabled nepomuk semantic desktop and strigi desktop file indexing and that seemed to do the trick. A significant side effect of that was that Konqueror no longer crashes, which it has been doing since 8.0. I'm actually (more than) a little irritated that nepomuk and strigi and associated programs are included and turned on. They don't do anything positive for users. Not everybody knows that they are the ones causing the trouble, and finding how to turn them off is not obvious either.

Here's how:

Go to settings -> system settings -> click desktop search