Old 02-02-2012, 02:49 AM

Default how to switch default desktop
I just bought a computer with PC-BSD 9 pre-installed. The default desktop is KDE. I want to try out the lightweight desktops xfce and lxde, but cannot figure out how to change the default desktop.

First I went to the system configuration utility and installed xfce. I rebooted the system, expecting to be given a choice of desktop environments, but instead it just restarted with KDE. So I thought that I would uninstall KDE in order to force the switch. This time when I rebooted, the desktop environment resembled KDE, but most of the utilities were inoperative. I reinstalled KDE, now seem to have both desktop environments installed, but still cannot figure out how to switch to xfce as default or even as a trial run.

This should be easy, I'm sure, but I can't find anything in the documentation explaining how to do this basic thing.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 AM

For me I have the option to change desktop at login. at first you can't see the option but when I press my name to enter the password the options appear.

See image 3.12f there you can see the awesome desktop selected:
http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Post...ion#Logging_In

You don't have any options there?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:03 PM

Thanks.

I figured this was simple.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 PM

I'm happy it was that easy

Where did you order a computer with PC-BSD preinstalled? From: http://www.ixsystems.com/ix/servers/home-and-office ?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:54 PM

From a company in Orange County, Califorina called "eracks." They are very professional. Mostly they sell rack servers to businesses, I think, but they also sell personal computers set up however you want them. The typically advise FreeBSD for servers and Linux distros for personal computers. But they will do whatever you want.

I bought from them 8 years ago and again last week.