Old 01-24-2012, 06:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to cookie
Default PCBSD as Virtualbox guest - glitches
Hi all,

I need some help with PCBSD 9 running as a VM in Virtualbox 4.1.6 r74173.

While the installation went fine and first use made me want more, I now have serious trouble with the GUI:

Installation went with KDE and vbox tools, this was usable and worked ok. However, after a reboot I experience strange jumps of the mouse, seems like the lower 15% or so are seen as the border and the mouse focus jumps to the host, so it´s almost impossible to use the GUI.

This started after I resized the host windows and manually adjusted the desktop/screen resolution (as it didn´t autosize like other OSes do, ie XP or 7)

Once, there was an "auto" option in the resolution dropdown menu, but now it´s gone and there are only 1024x768 and others - which give the same strange behaviour.

Since I´ve seen unixes only from a server/appliance use, ie CLi only, this may be me just being X-stupid, but it may be a vbox issue as well.

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance !
Old 01-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default PCBSD as Virtualbox guest - glitches
How did you manually adjust the desktop / screen resolution?

If you reboot and hit option 6 for the display wizard, can you choose
the correct resolution there and does it fix the issue?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:21 PM

Hi,

thanks for your interest !

Normally, with Windows guests, I´m used to install the vbox guest additions and from there on, I can resize the guest desktop by wildly changing the size of the host window, the vm just follows.

However, that did not work on my PCBSD installation, so I was stuck with the original window size (set by that dialogue during installation, before first gui login). So I tried to set the screen resolution as if I didn´t had the additions installed: "system settings", then to the dialogue where you normally would choose your X screen settings. Options were like 800x600, 1024x768 etc and one setting that had the odd numbers of the resized window with (auto) at the end of the line, guess this is derived from the vbox additions (?).

This option was gone after rebooting the vm, there are just the standard resolutions given.

I had never happen this on any of the numerous guests so far, but these were microsoft only (xp, xpsp2, xpsp3, 2003srv, 2008srv), so it seems the host is ok.

In order to track this down, I re-installed PCBSD over the existing machine, same behaviour. Also, now the mouse is running wild, as when I move from the host to the guest window and click, the pointer does not change focus to the vm, but jumps to position 0,0 on the host (left upper corner).

I will now install a current debian and see if it is the same there - so I may get an idea if this is more a unix/x/vbox related problem or if somehow virtualbox is playing tricks on me. Sorry for not having narrowed it down to PCBSD yet, but that´s the first OS showing that behaviour.

I can also try PCBSD on an ESXi box, but this one is noisy and therefore not much used . Virtualbox is just running conveniently on my workstation, which is Win7 Enterprise 64. It has only a few applications installed, so I assume the host should be ok (ressource hogs like office go into a vm, host does not feature any other issues so far).

If the vbox machine settings file can be helpful, let me now and I´ll paste it.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:48 PM

Ooops,

forgot that "press 6 during boot" thingie

Just tried that and noticed:

there is an awful pause during boot right after I get some vbox "additions installed" loggings.

However, I can "click and focus" into the vm and get not only the keyboard mapped, but also can move the mouse again (resolution wizard). The issue with the lower part of the screen not available (the focus jumps back to the host) still exists, but I found a workaround:

Entering the guest window at different speeds and from different directions seems to generate different "focus boundaries" (where I jump back to the host). I even managed to achieve a working setup so I could use the screen setup wizard. However, sometimes I need to click two or three times until a button is finally activated.

Just set resolution to 1024x768 in the wizard to be on the safe side, logged in and checked "system settings, display and monitor". The "auto" entry is there once again, but resizing the vm window does not give any other resolutions as one may expect. "Host+G" does no resizing either, I just get a nice blank space around the vm ^^.

The mouse focus issue with the changing borders seems to be gone for now.

For testing purposes, I shut down the machine, resized the windows to something odd during the text based part of the boot process, again the vboxguest: loaded successfully log entry can be read for around 20 seconds, then network stuff, 30 secs waiting for default route if.

When the GUI login screen appears, the vm window is set to 1024x768 again, so I just resized it again before login (hopefully this would make the vbox additions grab another possible resolution).

And here we go, I now have 1713x932 (auto) as an option, the mouse seems to work ok.

If this is persistent, I can live with that, although the user experience is a bit on the annoying side compared to what I see from the windows vms, but it is no showstopper anymore.

Let me know if I can provide something to improve that behaviour. If one of the goals of PCBSD is to make transitioning/upgrading from windows to a better OS nice and easy, my guess is that other people may try it via vbox too, so ironing out this weird issue would be a plus. If it´s only me, forget about the whole thing but maybe this has something to do with vbox/vboxtools integration.

So far I used unices from CLI only, mainly servers and appliances, then switching to ssh asap, but I´m really keen on making a switch on the desktop as well, then run windows from within a vm when needed.