Old 05-23-2005, 03:08 PM

Default The PC-BSD Package Installer - General Question
Hi,
to be honest - I didn't have installed pcbsd, but I read the article about "The PC-BSD Package Installer".
There is one thing I don't understand:
If every package for example kmail uses his own directory for all libarys, you must install for every kde-application kde? So normally you need a very large harddisk and a lot of memory. I think that isn't a good idea, so I guess there is something I don't understand.
Could someone be so kindly and give me some more information?

Thanks in advance
Niels
Old 05-23-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: The PC-BSD Package Installer - General Question
Hello Niels,

Here's a link from the PCBSD site that might help explain the methodology behind the package installer:

http://www.pcbsd.com/?p=packages

Please let us know if this helps.
Best regards,
-- malbert_1
Old 05-23-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: The PC-BSD Package Installer - General Question
Originally Posted by malbert_1
Hello Niels,

Here's a link from the PCBSD site that might help explain the methodology behind the package installer:

http://www.pcbsd.com/?p=packages

Please let us know if this helps.
Best regards,
-- malbert_1
Unfortunately it doesn't help. I read this before, but for example firefox based on GTK. Is in the firefox-directory the whole gtk stuff?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:42 PM

I really dont know if all the stuff is duplicated around the sytem, as i am new to BSD but... What is the size of your smallest hard drive? Sure, if (i mean if) some files are duplicated that shouln't be crucial as today's hard drives have spavce to waste. If things are really in that way, then you can use two apps which use different versions of GTK which cool. I really cant be sure if that really is the way it works thogh... Just a few thoughts...

I am glad so many poeople are curious about this OS. I sure am having fun with this!
Old 05-23-2005, 07:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to bsd_usr
From the way I gather it, is that the programs are installed in /usr/local/MyPrograms (I believe) and the command to run this is in /usr/local/bin (I believe. I'm not at my PCBSD computer right now, so I'm trying to go from memory. Which is not very good today. And I can't remember how it was yesterday).

It appears that the programs are not stored in the users home directory. With it formatted in this manner, it makes it much easier to install and remove progams without interfering with others that may use the same libraries.

I hope this makes since.

Dwayne
Old 05-24-2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by pcbsdusr
What is the size of your smallest hard drive? Sure, if (i mean if) some files are duplicated that shouln't be crucial as today's hard drives have spavce to waste. If things are really in that way, then you can use two apps which use different versions of GTK which cool. I really cant be sure if that really is the way it works thogh... Just a few thoughts...
Well first of all my experience is that every harddisk is to small, but anyway that's not the point. You need a lot more of memory if every program has his own libs. That's the reason why shared libarys exist. And the RAM is as a matter of fact an expensive ressource.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bsd_usr
From the way I gather it, is that the programs are installed in /usr/local/MyPrograms (I believe) and the command to run this is in /usr/local/bin (I believe. I'm not at my PCBSD computer right now, so I'm trying to go from memory. Which is not very good today. And I can't remember how it was yesterday).

It appears that the programs are not stored in the users home directory. With it formatted in this manner, it makes it much easier to install and remove progams without interfering with others that may use the same libraries.

I hope this makes since.

Dwayne
Of cause it's easier to remove a program which has no dependencies, but I think the problem is really fine solved for example at debian. There you have a system where all parts fits together. On the other hand if there are no dependencies you need a lot of memory as I wrote before.

Or is the installer only for programs which are installed by a normal user not by root?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:08 PM

I'm still unclear as to what this has to do with memory. If the program is run by one user then there isn't a problem as it is loaded in memory and released when the program is closed (In theory this is supposed to happen). How many users will be running the same program, on the same computer at the same time. Correct me if I misunderstood the the last question or point about memory.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by bsd_usr
I'm still unclear as to what this has to do with memory. If the program is run by one user then there isn't a problem as it is loaded in memory and released when the program is closed (In theory this is supposed to happen). How many users will be running the same program, on the same computer at the same time. Correct me if I misunderstood the the last question or point about memory.
As far as I know the computer loads a libary from /usr/lib/somestuff.so only onces, even if it's used by 100 programs. For example:
We have a libc at Linux-Systems, which need 1 KB at memory. This libary is necessary for 100 different programs, perhaps some deamons. If you put this libary to /ur/lib you need 1 KB if you put this libary to /usr/local/MyProg[1-100] you need 100 KB, because for the system it isn't the same libary.

Of course if 100 user starting the one program the libary libc needs only 1 KB. So the problem isn't the number of user.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:03 PM

If the library is already loaded into memory won't the program being loaded notice that the library is already loaded or will it load the library into a different memory location

BTW, thank you for clearing that up. At least it is getting a little clearer for me.

Thanks again,

Dwayne