Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 PM

Default PC-BSD 9 A few oddities but the best yet!
Hi
I have user PC-BSD on and off since it started, but have used it in preference to anything else since 8.1.

A fresh install of PCBSD 9.0 and what can I say apart from "The Best Yet" everything worked the printer installed with a few click a few adjustments to the display, language and key board and away we went.

I have noticed the following are marked by a yellow shield with an exclamation mark in PC-BSD Control Panel
Service Manager
System Manager
User Manager
Nvidia Settings
Display
Printing
Firewall Manager
Everything seems to be working fine but it just seems strange.

Thanks to all concerned in producing such a great release.
Keep up the good work.
Ken
Old 10-09-2012, 02:50 AM

The yellow shields mean that that app can only be accessed as administrator with admin passwd.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweet skunk For This Useful Post:
sg1efc (10-10-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM

I have to agree with this. I have been using PC-BSD since the summer and it's been a rather rewarding experience. Hats off to Kris and all the team who made this possible.

I'd like to see a bit more for laptops - namely touchpad management. I say that this is an issue only because it makes typing a rather cumbersome and tiring experience as the cursor goes everywhere, making drafting, coding or whatever sort of input just impossible.

I use OpenSUSE as well but am seriously considering abandoning this altogether in favour of using PC-BSD exclusively.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM

PCBSD 9 has been a great experience for me as well, and I'm very imrpessed with where PCBSD 9.1 (which I am running on my test machine) is at. Once I upgrade this machine to 9.1, my hope is that I'll finally be able to get xv output working
Old 10-13-2012, 06:24 AM

My experience with PC-BSD is much shorter (only since 8, and only a little bit) but I must say the improvements over that time have been significant and worthwhile. I agree that there are things "around the edges" that can be done better, but judging from the direction and speed of progress lately, those problems will not stand in the way for long.