Old 12-21-2011, 03:09 AM

Default PCBSD 9.0 Install with Live DVD
Hey everyone,

Could use a hand getting PCBSD 9.0 installed. I am not new to UNIX in general, used Linux for almost 2 decades and FreeBSD on server configs for a while. However, having a hard time finding an answer to my situation which is as follows:

Trying to run the Live DVD ends in an error from Xorg regarding my nVidia card. It's an nVidia GeForce 460 and works fine in Linux, no issues. With PCBSD I just get the error it isn't supported and dumped to a command line.

What options do I have getting this going? Is the Live DVD out of the question or is there perhaps a work around? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Default PCBSD 9.0 Install with Live DVD
Can you test one of the install CD / DVD's also instead of just live? Do
they also fail to start X when you boot them?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:37 PM

Does it dump you into the command line before or after the boot options screen?
If it does after, did you try the single user mode?
I know in Linux you can boot with "nomodset", but I don't know if it's possible with the BSD kernel.
This would be good to figure out for this instance and for future reference.

I Googled "nomedset for BSD" but came up empty.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:54 PM

Well the regulard install CD worked to get a basic X display. Too much trouble getting my nvidia card working though, had to give up for the time being and head back to Arch Linux. Sorry to waste your time guys.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:26 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Itproman
Cool Re:PCBSD 9.0 Install with Live DVD
Originally Posted by Litfan View Post
Hey everyone,

Could use a hand getting PCBSD 9.0 installed. I am not new to UNIX in general, used Linux for almost 2 decades and FreeBSD on server configs for a while. However, having a hard time finding an answer to my situation which is as follows:

Trying to run the Live DVD ends in an error from Xorg regarding my nVidia card. It's an nVidia GeForce 460 and works fine in Linux, no issues. With PCBSD I just get the error it isn't supported and dumped to a command line.

What options do I have getting this going? Is the Live DVD out of the question or is there perhaps a work around? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
If it's any consolation,today I ran the live dvd of PC-BSD 9.0 RC3 on the following hardware:

Biostar NF61S Motherboard AMD64x2
NVIDIA GE6100 GPU,onboard video,lan,sound

PC-BSD loaded up perfectly in KDE and Gnome w/sound,lan,internet,etc.

(The only fly was,no sound through my communications heradset plugged into the front jacks,but spkrs sounded fine.)No big deal.

All i need to do,to install it,that is(after reading the 'sticky' warning.),is resize the XP partition to make space.I might download a trial version of Acronis Disk Director and try that.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 AM

It installed fine on my laptop with nvidia 9600M. The only drawback is about screen backlight that is not driven by the driver.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:04 AM

Default nVidia 460 card can work.
I am putting PCBSD 9 on my desktop system with an nVidia 460 card. I had PCBSD 8.2 on it, and it worked fine with all of the KDE eye-candy enabled; it was using the binary nVidia drivers.

Between 8.2 and 9.0, the box had to run Win7, so FreeBSD and PCBSD had been running as VMs for awhile, which doesn't use the same video card.

If you choose to switch back, please post in this thread, and include any error message logs (if you cannot find the X error logs on BSD, then someone can help with that,too).
Old 01-16-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Litfan View Post
Well the regulard install CD worked to get a basic X display. Too much trouble getting my nvidia card working though, had to give up for the time being and head back to Arch Linux. Sorry to waste your time guys.
Try it again, with the new PCBSD 9.0 Release (it's stable). I also has some boot problems with those RC* beta thingies

Anyway, I've used "Arch",
and arch, (like gentoo), is definitely NO picnic to install nvidia drivers in that either. -lol
However, the main difference, between Linux and BSD (with nvidia binaries, ...), and this is the one people miss the most.
is that in BSD, basically, boot into a VESA X first, then once you install the nvidia drivers', you MUST make sure there is a line in
/boot/loader.conf, with:
nvidia_load="YES"

...before you reboot

Other than that, (and the fact that Arch uses "pacman", whereas PCBSD uses "PBI"'s) there is no other difference at all, especially if your installing nvidia drivers from scratch ?
... and that should do it.
GL.

Last edited by supercobrajet; 01-16-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Here is an overview on NVnews.net about the dif drivers and cards

Current NVIDIA FreeBSD graphics driver releases

would be better to do a separate Topic about nVdrivers & supportet / working card's under PC-BSD Forums » Hardware Support » Graphics Cards
Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 PM

Default How does one install PCBSD 9 Live?
I am using the pc-bsd 9 live disk and now I would like to install pc-bsd 9 onto my desktop, how do I install it? I don't see any installers. I am new to pc-bsd.