Old 10-24-2011, 03:59 PM

Default [SOLVED] "Missing operating system" on PC-BSD 9.0 USB IMG boot
Brief background information that may be useful: I'm an Ubuntu user (I have only Ubuntu installed on this machine) with an interest in trying out PC-BSD. My machine has no optical drive, so I've been booting live systems off USB exclusively.

I've been trying to boot PC-BSD 9.0 off my USB flash drive using the IMG files provided. While my preference has been using USBLITE, I've also tried USBFULL just in case. I tried with BETA3 and now RC1. In all cases, I boot to "Missing operating system". This occurs when using the dd utility as explained in numerous sources:
Code:
# dd if=<PC-BSD IMG> of=/dev/sdc1 bs=64k
I've also tried the ISO with Unetbootin and booting to it through GRUB; no go for either of them (admittedly long shots, but I wanted to try whatever I could).

I ran searches and found really only these relevant results:
http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=12082
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...tml#MISSING-OS

The former seems to be recommending the use of Windows tools, which may work for the original topic poster since he stated he tried under both Linux and Windows, but I have no access to Windows. The latter refers to "after install", and of course the only thing installed to the flash drive would be the live system from the IMG file, so I'm really not sure if that applies here.

Is there anything I could do under current circumstances to get this thing to work? I'm rather keen to enter the FreeBSD world, and I think PC-BSD would be my ticket in.

EDIT: That was a stupid mistake; "sdc1" instead of "sdc". I guess the guide here is incorrect: http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=12631 <- It would have me using sdc1 rather than sdc as shown in the given example using sdg. And the other sources showed FreeBSD device names like da0. I'll admit that confused me a bit since I have no prior FreeBSD experience, so given my Linux experience, I thought perhaps da was the device and 0 was a partition number. I can boot now.

Last edited by panmistwood; 10-24-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 10-26-2011, 09:48 AM

Default Hi!
I am also on Ubuntu but leaving now!
I didn't like a lot of the usb apps so I downloaded usb-imagewriter.
(The only thing I can suspect you change in your dd command is to try sdb instead of sdb1). The app is probably only a frontend to dd really.)
Just made a bootable usb stick of the PC-BSD 9 Isobyte 32-bit USBLITE img (didn't work with the bz2 archive ) using the imagewriter software.

I chose the VESA option because I have a AMD Fusion card and wide monitor connected by HDMI . (Graphics on the normal boot were laggy)
Now, I am thinking about what the 64-bit option next to ZFS means while I have a 32-bit image.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:50 AM

Default Oops
I read the bottom of your post now. Seems like you got it working!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 AM

I had the trouble too. It's really unfortunate that PC-BSD install uses a format that doesn't seem to have ANY Windows support. At least any easily findable. I found one tool, but it tried to load the image to RAM and failed to do it with out of memory error...I don't know why, I have 4 GB and the image was 3.7 GB. Then I disconnected the testing PC, reconnected the main one (they share 6 cables deep under the desk), moved the image to the Linux netbook, used dd to copy the image to USB drive, disconnected the main PC, reconnected the test one only to find out that it doesn't boot. So I switched the PCs again and came here to complain only to find this topic - I too dd'ed to the first partition. So I'm going to have to try to do it again.
Anyway, I suggest making it easier for users (especially Windows ones!) to use the USB installer...at least by writing a guide and pointing to it from the download page.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 PM

There is a guide to setting up USB images files on Linux/Windows/FreeBSD in the PC-BSD Handbook (9.0 version - available on the PC-BSD wiki page): http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Burn...allation_Media
See section 5 for detailed instructions on creating a bootable USB stick.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:54 AM

Mea culpa, I could have been more vigilant.
But I still think that linking to it would be useful. It's a recurring problem.