Old 09-20-2011, 07:11 PM

Default ZFS snapshots
Hello,

Is it possible to take zfs snapshots in PC-BSD ? How ? Is there a tool like opensolaris' Time slider ?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 AM

You can create snapshots from terminal,
Code:
zfs snapshot filesystem@snapname
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=zfs
Old 09-21-2011, 01:40 PM

I would like to see something like the Timeslider put into place. Solaris has had this GUI tools for a few years and it makes ZFS snapshot browsing very intuitive and fast.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:20 PM

Default Time Slider is Cool
I agree, time slider is cool. The snapshot schedule that FreeNAS 8 has is also very cool.

Although I enjoy the command line, a GUI interface can really open up the potential of the ZFS filesystem while not requiring that someone learns how to administer ZFS from the CLI.

This page http://blogs.oracle.com/erwann/entry...he_desktop_zfs has a section toward the bottom called "Where is the Source?" that gives links to the relevant source packages that make up Time Slider. However, it does not have an open license.

http://www.ekfocus.com
Old 09-21-2011, 04:00 PM

Thanks for your answser.

Strange to hear that time slider hasn't got an open-source license : it was available on opensolaris and seems to be on openindiana now. So it must be available under a CDDL license somewhere (though perhaps not at Oracle's).

If I understand well, there are two ways people can use zfs :

- By creating a zfs-pool on a second hard disk (or more disks). These additional disks only contains data while the os remains on the first disk.

- By installing the OS directly on a ZFS slice (with a little UFS boot slice).

If I install PC-BSD on a ZFS slice, will I need a second hard disk to take snapshots ? In which folder will they be created ?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:39 AM

Default ZFS Snapshots are like timestamps
"If I install PC-BSD on a ZFS slice, will I need a second hard disk to take snapshots ? In which folder will they be created ?"

*A ZFS snapshot is not a separate copy of the data, but more like a timestamp that freezes the existing data in place. It doesn't take up more space (a trivial amount to record the snapshot), which is why snapshots are quick to perform. It is necessarily part of the same ZFS pool when the snapshot is taken.

*After* a snapshot, however, any changes to the files on the snapshot take up new space on the disk, and will never overwrite the snapshot version (unless/until you delete the snapshot).

The growth of snapshot space is the reason that time slider and other snapshot management scripts are created. If you simply took a snapshot every hour, forever, on a desktop PC, you might fill up the disk with transient data of little value. You would want to delete some of the snapshots at some time, but you don't want to manually create and destroy 24 snapshots a day.

If you have another disk or another computer with ZFS, you can send and receive these snapshots, which can be handy for remote backup.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jag3773 View Post
Although I enjoy the command line, a GUI interface can really open up the potential of the ZFS filesystem while not requiring that someone learns how to administer ZFS from the CLI.
Time Slider is an extension to the nautilus file system. I proposed something similar to KSOC but I was unable to find a mentor for the project and, by the way, KDE will not implement it in Dolphin, rather in kio subsystem (which is formerly much more correct).

Just for the record....ZFS is a COW filesystem (copy on write), snapshotting the same file over and over did not take place until the file is modified. You can think of ZFS as a VCS repository over the whole filesystem. OpenSolaris had also another very interesting feature built over ZFS which was the ability to create a full versioned system that allows you to step back to a previous configuration, including the running programs and kernel. While this could be easy for jails, I don't think it is still possible for freebsd.