Old 08-17-2011, 07:39 AM

Default How to Triple Boot Win 7, PCBSD and Linux using EasyBCD
Edit: Previous content deleted by user:

I answered my own question. I have been up all night reading and gathered enough information to try the triple boot out. I'm going to change the title to reflect the new direction of this thread. Mods feel free to move this if you want to.

I installed Windows 7, Simply Mepis (Linux) and Isotope and set up a " It's so easy a caveman could do it" triple boot using EasyBCD.

EasyBCD edits the boot loader of Windows 7 and lets you set up a boot loader for each system you have installed in a seperate partition. EasyBCD cannot load your OS's directly, so it points to your OS's own boot loader instead. When you boot up you will first see your EasyBCD boot screen, with your 2 (for dual) or 3 (for triple) boot options, Windows, Linux, and PC-BSD. Choose one and that OS's boot loader will load, letting you boot the OS.

Install Windows 7 first if it's not installed already. Next download and install EasyBCD. On first run of EasyBCD you should see your Entry for Windows 7 by default, If it's not there you need to add it before you install your other operating systems. After it's added, close the program and reboot to make sure your Windows loads. On boot you will see the boot loader with Windows 7 as the only option. After you confirm Windows will boot, you can now set up your other OS's on a partition of thier own. When installing do not tell the OS to install a boot loader into the MBR, tell the OS to install it's boot loader to Root of the system partition you are using for instalation. (I did not see this option in Isotope but EasyBCD was able to find Isotope's boot loader just fine and use it)

After all your OS's are installed boot back into Windows and open EasyBCD. Add an Entry for each of your OS's by choosng Add Entry, the partition it's installed on and the type of boot loader that it uses. These will be multiple choices you will find in a drop box. Once all your entries are added, your good to go!

If you do not have Windows installed and want to use EasyBCD you still can but you will have to obtain some files from Windows to do it. The EasyBCD website has these instructions in thier FAQ.

EasyBCD is free for personal use.

Edit:

This will Not work if you install Hubble and Isotope together either on the same drive or on two different drives. The EasyBCD program does not know how to make a distintinction for two OS's running the same version of the PC-BSD boot loader it seems. Trying this will result in the first OS loading always. I have spoken to the folks at Easy BCD about this and they told me the problem should be corrected once Isotope is released in it's final stable version.

Last edited by DarkPhoenix; 08-21-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 AM

Default triple boot not taking in linux
i am now currently using windows on C:\, pcbsd-9 on 2nd primary partition and linux in the extended (logical : sda5 = /boot, sda6 = swap and sda7 = /.
i can access and boot windows and pcbsd but i am unable to boot into linux.
i pointed the boot partition to look for boot files by easybcd. i was also careful to load the boot loader to /dev/sda5.

any help to help me boot will be appreciated so i can use the triple boot with ease ? i tried using legacy grub and grub 2 doesnt point to what i wish to point ! easybcd is asking for a grub.conf !
best regards,
r v c
Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 AM

Default solved triple boot problem for win8-RP / Ubuntu Hybryde 12.04/ pcbsd isotope
Originally Posted by rvc View Post
i am now currently using windows on C:\, pcbsd-9 on 2nd primary partition and linux in the extended (logical : sda5 = /boot, sda6 = swap and sda7 = /.
i can access and boot windows and pcbsd but i am unable to boot into linux.
i pointed the boot partition to look for boot files by easybcd. i was also careful to load the boot loader to /dev/sda5.

any help to help me boot will be appreciated so i can use the triple boot with ease ? i tried using legacy grub and grub 2 doesnt point to what i wish to point ! easybcd is asking for a grub.conf !
best regards,
r v c
Found a reply for my quiery after a lot of jugglery but now i am posed with a different problem !

so long as boot is concerned, i installed windows first, then linux and let the grub be installed on sda (MBR) as the default style. then i installed easybcd on windows and configured to point at the pcbsd partition and everything worked like a charm !

grub shows 2 menus, win and linux
choosing win, i am lead to easybcd menu win or isotope and when i choose isotope, it booted straight into pcbsd !
Old 08-11-2012, 12:24 PM

Could the PC-BSD installer add GRUB and automatically setup GRUB to multi-boot any number of existing OS's? I believe this may be possible, given that the Ubuntu installer provides a very simple GUI for resizing Windows and Ubuntu partitions and configures GRUB, without user intervention, to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu.

Maybe PC-BSD could include an easy GUI during install to resize partitions with movable "sliders", install and configure GRUB automatically?
Old 09-21-2012, 05:03 PM

options to triple boot using easybcd as well as syslinux.

i ve tried both methods and both work flawless.

a) install windows and pcbsd on primary partitions, install linux in extended logical volume and used syslinux instead of grub.
then i edited the syslinux.cfg file in linux to add the 2 OS (windows and pcbsd)

rebooted and i got the options to choose from the 3

b) used the same with easy bcd and works flawless...

just sharing my experience ! i am currently triple booting with win 8 RP, pcbsd isotope and archlinux.