Old 07-05-2011, 01:15 AM

Default Trouble configuring my Broadcom wireless NIC (bwn0)
HI everyone,

The install actually went quite well. Awesome. I'm running the latest snap shot, as of July 1, of the release 9 stuff. My system "sees" the NIC, but I'm having trouble configuring. I don't see fields in the wizard for WPA setup and the manual page for bwn didn't show an example with WPA but only WEP. I'm something of a neophyte to wireless setup and, honestly, have been dumbed down over the last 2 years, or so, since my place of employment went to a total windows environment.

What should I do to get my wireless NIC configured?

Andy
Old 07-05-2011, 03:55 AM

Default Addendum: Trouble configuriong my Broadcom wireless NIC (bwn0)
HI,

Would the subject of this wiki article still be necessary: http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Network_Configuration? Is says that I'll have to compile and install separate firmware for the device. This is fine, I'm just wanting to know if it is still necessary.

Thanks everyone.

Andy
Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Hi recursion,

I don't know if my reply would still be relevant, but you would need to compile the kernel module for bwn (bwn_kmod) which can be found at the ports dir under "sys/modules". I forgot the exact location so just do a find-grep instead after you have expanded the src and ports pack.

Anyway, this will install a required firmware b43-fwcutter on your system. This problem is mainly due to the proprietary nature of Broadcom's firmwares and hardwares, and their reluctance to support anything other than Windows(tm).