Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 AM

Default PCBSD is NOT easy to install
I am writing this as Ubuntu is reinstalling on my HD. Here is my experience with PCBSD; After several hours I was able to get a copy to fully install on my HD. Then after finding the update area I got it to update. Next, I had to restart the system, that is when my touch-pad stopped working. After another install I updated again, restarted and no problem with the touch-pad. "Great not I can test this new cool system the is soooo easy to install." Wrong! now there was no panel showing. Tried to add a panel it would show on the top, till i used it, then it too would disappear. Tried to fix this every way I could think of, looked on-line (with my phone), could not find a solution. If this is user friendly install then I don't want to see the hard stuff. One should not have to know the OS code to use it, if it is going to be called "easy". From my experance I will tell other to stay clear of PCBSD unless they are masochistic.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Default PCBSD is NOT easy to install
Umm, can you at least include some relevant data? Like what version /
architecture you were trying? None of the online updates have anything
to do with the touchpad, so I'm not sure what thats all about.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:31 PM

A touch-pad, mouse pad, what ever is the correct vernacular of the day. Many don't know what I mean when I say "jump-drive", I digress. I was using a Toshiba Satellite A205 S5000 that I have upgraded several times to keep it alive. Tried to install PC-BSD 8.2 from a jump-drive.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:07 AM

Got it to work. Had to net install. Now if I could get lightning to work on Thunderbird.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by mrharless View Post
I am writing this as Ubuntu is reinstalling on my HD.
Oh please!

Here is my experience with PCBSD; After several hours I was able to get a copy to fully install on my HD. Then after finding the update area I got it to update. Next, I had to restart the system, that is when my touch-pad stopped working. After another install I updated again, restarted and no problem with the touch-pad. "Great not I can test this new cool system the is soooo easy to install." Wrong! now there was no panel showing. Tried to add a panel it would show on the top, till i used it, then it too would disappear. Tried to fix this every way I could think of, looked on-line (with my phone), could not find a solution. If this is user friendly install then I don't want to see the hard stuff. One should not have to know the OS code to use it, if it is going to be called "easy".
From my experance I will tell other to stay clear of PCBSD unless they are masochistic.
We do not have because of their incompetence
Even hadn't gavest specifications when you opened this post.
Thanks to Kris told you you had to specify ... and over speak of the installation is not easy and you speak about the post-installation!

One should not have to know the OS code to use it
You not know how to debug (It is not very freaky of Ubuntu users).
On Internet has got a lot of manuals, "How to" and more. You don't need know the source code for use. Is easy to pour waste on OS and not assume the user fails or the limited mind.

Greets and welcome!

P.S= Not see PBI problems... I think you wrong posted on this section [Everything related to installing PC-BSD packages (.pbi files)]. If I'm not wrong the section about bugs or "installation"/bugs reports here!

Last edited by netSys; 07-03-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:01 PM

Netsys, you don't know english that well? I did not ask a question but made an observation about a claim that is made about the OS.
Before you try to insult others in english maybe you should become more familiar with the language. There are many manuals online that you can refer to. Also logic or more specifically logical fallacies maybe of interest to you.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:44 PM

*My last post was a quick response done from my phone, I thought it would be better to explain myself more fully.*

Originally Posted by netSys View Post
Oh please!

*Would you quantify what is meant by this? Do you believe me to have been jesting, do you think that I was lying or do you feel that I wrote it for dramatic effect?, etc.*

We do not have because of their incompetence
Even hadn't gavest specifications when you opened this post.
Thanks to Kris told you you had to specify ... and over speak of the installation is not easy and you speak about the post-installation!

*the OS is claimed to be user friendly stating "PC-BSD is a user friendly desktop Operating System" if you cannot easily install or configure it then such a claim is unwarranted. If one has to be "competent in something before they can use it then it is NOT user friendly. Like the English language for you!*

You not know how to debug (It is not very freaky of Ubuntu users).

*You made my point for me, I have been using Ubuntu for a few weeks, don't have to debug anything, installed it with 0 knowledge about it, in fact my knowledge of Linux was limited to "I have heard of that somewhere."*

On Internet has got a lot of manuals, "How to" and more. You don't need know the source code for use. Is easy to pour waste on OS and not assume the user fails or the limited mind.

*Again how user friendly is something if you have to be well versed in it before you can us it? And why would I want to waist days or weeks learning a system that is not user friendly? (rhetorical)*

Greets and welcome!

P.S= Not see PBI problems... I think you wrong posted on this section [Everything related to installing PC-BSD packages (.pbi files)]. If I'm not wrong the section about bugs or "installation"/bugs reports here!
*And again don't claim to be user friendly and then, expect others to read manuals and become familiar with forum protocol before daring to speak about the system.*
Old 07-04-2011, 02:57 PM

do you think I didn't try to familiarize with this language? Oh! my god! I'm writting on English" How is possible?

I will continue saying. Ubuntu users wants all automatic OS, and know, learn nothing about as use it -.-

So, you thinks insulte! gen narcicism was detected! (I'm crying)

PBI discussion... you spoken about installation it... (when is post-installation, really)..

Greets! Welcome

Last edited by netSys; 07-04-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by netSys View Post
do you think I didn't try to familiarize with this language? Oh! my god! I'm writting on English" How is possible?

I will continue saying. Ubuntu users wants all automatic OS, and know, learn nothing about as use it -.-

So, you thinks insulte! gen narcicism was detected! (I'm crying)

PBI discussion... you spoken about installation it... (when is post-installation, really)..

Greets! Welcome
I know that you are trying to learn English, that was kinda my point. We call it a learning curve.
I personally like Ubuntu because I have a usable OS that I can use to learn about Linux. PCBSD is claimed to be such a system and I don't feel that such a claim should be made about the system. From what I have read PCBSD is a great OS it is just not, in my opinion, user friendly. I will say that it is faster than Ubuntu though, once you get it to work. BTW I don't know what PBI means I saw "PC-BSD Software" and thought "I will put my post there".

I was not trying, directly, to insulting anyone. I was only making a point about being harsh with people who are trying to learn.

I did get the OS to install, played with it for two days and then went back to Ubuntu. For the time I do not believe that PC-BSD is user-friendly enough for newbies like myself and therefore consider it more of a hobby than a usable OS.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:55 AM

I've used Linux for several years so PC-BSD is dead simple for me to use and a lot less hassle as well as more stable than even Ubuntu.

It also doesn't matter what OS system you're using be it Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Fedora or even PC-BSD, you MUST know your computer and sooner or later you're going to have to familiarize yourself with some BASH.

Freedom always comes at a price, especially since the system was handed out for the price of a download.

PBI is an acronym for Push Button Installer.

Linux and the BSD's are not windows.
Ubuntu may seem friendly to you for now but it isn't Windows either.
When I ran it I had to fix it after a few updates.

So far I haven't had to do that here and the terminal time here was/is minimal and only used to get the things I want/need from ports.

I would also point out that PC-BSD is as easy to install as Win 98, XP, Vista and Win 7.

Easier really because I didn't have to go run down my drivers. :-)