Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to i18nde Send a message via Skype™ to i18nde
Default TeX Live 2011
Quite the most modern version of LaTeX for UNIX. It is installable with a shell script, but not in the ports, but it would be a nice idea to use the install-tl script, perhaps with the perl-tk GUI to have an easy installation. Maybe it is possible easily to build a PBI out of the shell script?

Seems to be a problem with TeTeX and the dependencies for building FreeBSD docs?

Last edited by i18nde; 06-26-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Administrator

To add to this thread, the install script is available from:

http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html

Also, should this be moved to Ports Requests so an underlying port can be created?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by i18nde View Post
Maybe it is possible easily to build a PBI out of the shell script?
+1 - it would be wonderful to hae TeXLive PBI in 9.0.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 PM

Default TeXLive on FreeBSD a myth
Originally Posted by drulavigne View Post
To add to this thread, the install script is available from:

http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html

Also, should this be moved to Ports Requests so an underlying port can be created?
Regarding this matter, I have to say we cannot expect that this will happen anytime in the near future. Many people including I myself have brought up this matter with the FreeBSD community ages ago for example:

What happen here is that, as Romain and someone pointed out, some people have been keen and willing to work on this to make it happen, whereas the FreeBSD side think that someone from Japan has already been working on this for years and therefore don't let those others do the same work. The problem is that this has been such a looong time without any update from the Japanese nor from the FreeBSD admin panel that it seems to everyone that nothing is actually happening.

I actually know that Japanese and have contacted him in the beginning of last year (2011) regarding this, and in his reply he said that there had been several technical issues but most of them had been solved and almost ready to merge into the port tree, and that he was planning to go forward after the 8.2/7.4 releases (one or two weeks later from that time stage) are out.

However, more than a year has passed since then and still nothing happened. I tried to contact him several times after that (email, tweet, etc) but haven't heard anything back from him at all.

What I want to say is that, if you are running vanilla FreeBSD then you can install TeXLive by using one of several options e.g.

To do this on vanilla FreeBSD you need ports-mgmt/portshaker and ports-mgmt/portshaker-config. But I am not sure if this is doable on PCBSD.

I do intend to create a TeXLive pbi but I am not sure how to do portshaker tasks on the pbi infra structure... I know normally the easiest way (in long term) to create/maintain a pbi not included in the port tree is to have it merged into the ports tree on FreeBSD side first, but this TeXLive is not the case (guaranteed), and I am almost sure that this won't change anytime in the future if nothing is changed.

I will try keep contacting the Japanese guy to trace this up (I know this will end up with wasting my time though), but can someone whoever are close to the FreeBSD admin panels bring this up to them and make them take action? It's been a long time waiting for any LaTeX users on FreeBSD for nothing. Really long ...

Last edited by semin; 05-25-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Add url to FreeBSD forums
Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Does this version do what you need?

http://www.freshports.org/print/texlive-full/