Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 AM

Smile Using Samba
I am trying to integrate PCBSD with a MS windows network, particularly sharing a printer attached to my PCBSD. Previously (with linux) I have used Samba for this. Although present in the KDE sharing interface, Samba does not appear to be installed - is this so? Samba is not in the list of available PBI software - can I install it via the pkg route in PCBSD. If I install it "in jail" will it connect to a network and my printer?

Many thanks for any advice or pointers to docs.
I have already looked at offical Samba howto and FreeBSD handbook.
new to PCBSD
Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 AM

You can get Samba through FreeBSD's ports/packages. The command to install the latest version is

pkg_add -r -v samba4-devel
Old 05-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Smile Getting Samba to Work
Many thanks.
I was able to get the samba package as above.
Used a terminal and logged on as root using su -l.
The configuration mentioned in the Free BSD handbook 29.9 seems mostly to have been done in PCBSD. Samba is set to run in inetd and once installed it did.
The configuration panels are greyed out in KDE but were reading the configuration file smb.conf I edited manually.

This was not initially successful but when I carefully followed the instructions in The official Samba HowTo - cure for the impatient. Success - a PCBSD folder accessable from windows.
Note the instructions need modifying for FreeBSD.

However my PCBSD machine only becomes visible on the network when the Firewall is turned off. It can be turned on again and this machine will continue to be visible. A change in the configuration makes it invisible again.

Printing via Samba did not work (it requires a specially compiled version?) but Printing to CUPS directly from Windows does work when set up as per FreeBSD CUPS documentation. Again the firewall needs to be turned off to allow this.

Next on my agenda to learn more about setting up the firewall correctly.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:04 AM

If you are using the pf-firewall a quick and dirty workaround ist adding this line into /etc/pf.conf.
Code:
pass in proto {udp tcp} from any to any port {137 138 139 445} keep state