Old 04-22-2011, 04:44 AM

Default Ask) can we install antivirus for linux on pcbsd like avast home unix<<etc ?
can we install anti virus linux edition like avast home unix, f-prot for linux, avg, avira and Bitdefender Linux edition on pcbds...and how...to isntall...? i still new to this os
Old 04-22-2011, 09:14 AM

You do not need any antivirus, I do not understand. Always the same story. This is not Windows or much less.
If I were you I focused more on learning about and pf firewalls instead of thinking so much about antivirus.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:07 PM

If you want an anti-virus program, Klam is available in the software manager. It can also be downloaded from here:
http://pbidir.com/bt/pbi/247?PDirSID...7654c6c57de415
Old 04-22-2011, 01:16 PM

Cool
i know about klamav..but sorry this av is not good...on linux i can use avast home unix and this better than klamav and is free
why i m use av.....in pc bsd..?

1.I m use dual boot Windows 7 and Pc BSD...so i can use pc bsd for clean my windows 7 partition
2.Only i m in my family who use opensource os/// other yes... windows..
3.For clean usb/eksternal hdd from virus:neutral:
4.For Self Defends..prepare....my self to protect........

SO>>>>> CAN WE INSTALL ANTIVIRUS LINUX EDITION>>>> AVAST HOME UNIX OR ETC ON PCBSD>>>>>>:neutral:
Old 04-22-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by XENOVALKRYIE View Post
i know about klamav..but sorry this av is not good...on linux i can use avast home unix and this better than klamav and is free
why i m use av.....in pc bsd..?

1.I m use dual boot Windows 7 and Pc BSD...so i can use pc bsd for clean my windows 7 partition
2.Only i m in my family who use opensource os/// other yes... windows..
3.For clean usb/eksternal hdd from virus:neutral:
4.For Self Defends..prepare....my self to protect........

SO>>>>> CAN WE INSTALL ANTIVIRUS LINUX EDITION>>>> AVAST HOME UNIX OR ETC ON PCBSD>>>>>>:neutral:
Are you think is good use antivirus?
So, you nothing know if the antivirus is good or bad. You don't know viruses or trojans. The antivirus has got a database to detect the viruses. So, if in your database has not got the viruses located in your system your virus is not detected.
Do you think install a hundred antivirus programs to detect any virus? So, a hundred antivirus you are installed, It cannot detected other viruses.

The lot of problems in OS is not own OS. The problem is the owner.

Postscript: who known that things have on your pc...

Last edited by netSys; 04-22-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:56 PM

Smile
okey...bsd and linux is immunet to virus...how about rootkit.............is immune?
bos..major house in my homeland/country 99.99% is use windows..and i do not have internet connection i play internet on public/goverenment office.......with 100% is use windows....and the pc full of virus......so
I WILL USE AV.........

MY ANSWER JUST 1......PLEASE I DO NOT LIKE TO MAKE FLAME WARS>>>

JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION>>>>>

""""CAN WE INSTALL ANTIVIRUS FOR LINUX>>LIKE AVAST HOME UNIX, Bitdefender linux edition/////// etc on PCBSD.....???
CAN WE INSTALL OR NOT>>>>>>????

JUST SAY... YES OR NOT>>
THANKYOUU.............No Flame..............i want calm...........
peace
Old 04-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by XENOVALKRYIE View Post
okey...bsd and linux is immunet to virus...how about rootkit.............is immune?
bos..major house in my homeland/country 99.99% is use windows..and i do not have internet connection i play internet on public/goverenment office.......with 100% is use windows....and the pc full of virus......so
I WILL USE AV.........

MY ANSWER JUST 1......PLEASE I DO NOT LIKE TO MAKE FLAME WARS>>>

JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION>>>>>

""""CAN WE INSTALL ANTIVIRUS FOR LINUX>>LIKE AVAST HOME UNIX, Bitdefender linux edition/////// etc on PCBSD.....???
CAN WE INSTALL OR NOT>>>>>>????

JUST SAY... YES OR NOT>>
THANKYOUU.............No Flame..............i want calm...........
peace
No operating system is immune to viruses. Any operating system that allows third-party programs to run can theoretically run viruses. BSD and Linux are not targeted as much by virus writers so few viruses actually exist. Klamav should work fine for you since its developers have aimed its use at Unix based systems. Also, using a router with a built in firewall can also help protect your system.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:08 PM

Short answer: no.

While it is possible to make applications built for Linux run on PC-BSD, it usually involves quite a bit of work and trial and error. I wouldn't recommend trying to run a Linux anti-virus program on PC-BSD because it's hard to tell what will work properly and what will not.

As I mentioned before, PC-BSD provides ClamAV and Rootkit hunter. If you don't think those anti-virus products will work well enough, then you can look through this list of software companies that make software for PC-BSD and FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/commercial/software.html
Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 PM

I manually installed Kaspersky for Linux Workstations and applied my paid license.

The on-demand scanner works like a champ out of the box (the same as in Ubuntu, if not faster) (as long as you don't first bless it with "brandelf").

The definitions updater updates the database and then hangs. However, there are other ways to update the database.

Since I never used the "always-on" monitor kernel module under Ubuntu, I did not try to compile the module. It would probably not compile anyways.

There is a native Kaspersky product for FreeBSD servers that I've used in the past. It does have native on-demand scanner and definition updater (as well as the daemon). If you happen to be running a server on the side, you may want to give it a whirl.

In conclusion, some elements of Kaspersky's Linux Workstation product will work under PC-BSD the same or better than under Linux (provided you have a license). However, I would not recommend it to an inexperienced user of PC-/FreeBSD or even to an experienced user who hasn't used the product under Linux.

--
Juju

Last edited by Juju; 04-22-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
You do not need any antivirus, I do not understand. Always the same story.
I run a computer repair shop & the 1st step in virus removal is we remove the hard drive & scan on a machine with Linux Mint running Avast. As I'm replacing our Linux Mint machines in favor of PCBSD, I too would be interested to know what all Antivirus options there are for PCBSD.

So yes, I need it.

Quote:
I manually installed Kaspersky for Linux Workstations and applied my paid license.
Link?

** update **

http://usa.kaspersky.com/products-se...x-file-server/ <-- has a FreeBSD version

Quote:
As I mentioned before, PC-BSD provides ClamAV and Rootkit hunter.
I've used ClamAV on FreeBSD, where is this Rootkit hunter? Sounds neat!

Thank you for the previously given suggestions.

Last edited by no2pencil; 01-25-2012 at 03:16 AM.