Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 AM

Default PC-BSD 8.2 DVD can not get to SysInstaller
Dear all,

I'm new to PC-BSD. I've downloaded PCBSD8.2-x64-DVD.iso, checked md5 after download and did disk integrity check after burning with Brasero. At first, when i tried to boot the dvd, the "PC-BSD Installer Boot Menu" is not waiting for 10 seconds to make selection (it disappears rather quickly, can't choose anything), it goes to something (i'm assuming to default option). Secondly, the last thing that i can see is "Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh", then i hit RETURN and it seats there at the terminal forever, so i can't get to the installer. I'm not sure if at the "PC-BSD Installer Boot Menu" different option other then the default is automatically selected (it happens so fast that i can not get which option is selected) and i'm ending at the terminal with terminal cursor blinking at me.

My question is if this is normal behavior, because my understanding from the PC_BSD Handbook is that if nothing is entered at "PC-BSD Installer Boot Menu" then the "Boot Installer" should be automatically called (which is not happening in my case) and SysInstaller should appear.

Since i am stuck at the terminal, how can i call SysInstaller from the terminal assuming nothing is wrong with my system (i mean no kernel panics, hardware incompatibility or whatnot ...)

Thanks,
Bormasina
Old 03-25-2011, 05:52 AM

what kind of keyboard and layout do you have ? do you have any joysticks, game pads, or anything else that may be inadvertantly making key strokes ?

is this a desktop pc or laptop ? do you have a spare USA style keyboard you can try ?
6gb DDR2 800
nvidia 9800gt
Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 AM

To answer your questions:
- i do not have any joysticks, game pads or something similar
- keyboard: Logitec Illuminated keyboard - usb
- mouse: Logitec - usb
- webcam: Microsoft LifeCam Cinema
- motherboard Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
- CPU Intel E8400
- RAM Kingston 4 x 1GB DDR2 800
- VGA Nvidia 8600GT
- HDD No.1: ATA Hitachi HDS72161 sata
- HDD No.2: ATA WDC WD1600GS-00S sata
- HDD No.3: ATA ST3320620AS sata
- HDD No.4: ATA Samsung HD161GJ
- DVD No.1: Lite-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S IDE
- DVD No.2: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 sata
- DVD No.3: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-215D sata
- printer HP PSC-1315xi usb
- lan printer Brother HL-5250DN
- Backup UPS CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD

After some time spent at the terminal (browsing through dir's) i've decided to give up when i typed "exit" and hit "enter"; it went to the installer and i was able to install PC-BSD. So, i do not know what is going on, simple "exit" command solve the problem ?!

Thanks,
Bormasina