Old 10-29-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Local Area Network
How do I get my Local Area Networki up and running or is it still a work in progress.

I have 5 computers linked via a fast ethernet switch, 2 running Win2000 and the others running odd Linux distros and PCBSD.

Most Linux distros set the Lan up automatically, however Pcbsd does not (at this stage anyway)

How do I get my network up and running - it is most important that feature be working. I have tried the Pcbsd Network Manager but it returns the following message:

Command /PCBSD/bin/Networkmanager not found

Any suggestions????

Ray
Old 10-29-2005, 02:18 AM

The Network Manager will be "comming soon" in a patch (I think).

Does UNIX have anything like Windows Domain (Without SMB server 3 that is), where you can, by default, browse around a network etc, or is it horrific and manual - like having to install the clients/servers on everything, set shares and permissions and domain/realm names and manually hack some kind of appearance of a contiguous network together on a per machine basis?

If it IS a dreadfully manual affair, then I wonder if anyone thinks there could be some kind of value in putting in default networking services, even if it was in the form a a PBI?

Samba 3 wizard, or a kerberous/NFS client and server PBI setup wizzardy thing, where a "server" could be specified and set up, and then a PBI for clients that can grab the config data from the server?

Or am I on crack? Does this actually happen and I'm just blind AND ignorant? This could well be the case : )

I've been the network/system administrator for an educational institution before - but that was a 6 NT4 server, 64 dual boot NT4/Win98 workstation environment, so the Unix paradigm is alien to me.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by sblevin
The Network Manager will be "comming soon" in a patch (I think).

Does UNIX have anything like Windows Domain (Without SMB server 3 that is), where you can, by default, browse around a network etc, or is it horrific and manual - like having to install the clients/servers on everything, set shares and permissions and domain/realm names and manually hack some kind of appearance of a contiguous network together on a per machine basis?

If it IS a dreadfully manual affair, then I wonder if anyone thinks there could be some kind of value in putting in default networking services, even if it was in the form a a PBI?

Samba 3 wizard, or a kerberous/NFS client and server PBI setup wizzardy thing, where a "server" could be specified and set up, and then a PBI for clients that can grab the config data from the server?

Or am I on crack? Does this actually happen and I'm just blind AND ignorant? This could well be the case : )

I've been the network/system administrator for an educational institution before - but that was a 6 NT4 server, 64 dual boot NT4/Win98 workstation environment, so the Unix paradigm is alien to me.
I can browse right now Windows network from default PC-BSD without problem. If you want your own shared files then look at here.