PCBSD 8.2RC1 can't setup Nvidia 8400GS
=== Quote ======================
I tried to install PCBSD on my desktop, the VGA is nvidia 8400GS, monitor resolution is 1440x900, but it cant detect and set lower resolution.
I install driver from nvidia website for freebsd, but still does not work.
=== End Quote ===================
Sometimes the resolution choices at the time of initial video configuration do not include all possible resolutions for your monitor & video card installation. In such cases, select a compatible resolution that works, and complete the installation. After that, when you can boot all the way to PCBSD, nVidia owners can:
1. Go to a terminal, type nvidia-settings, and press enter.
2. From the menu on the left, select X Server Display Configuration.
3. On the right side of the window, locate and click in the Resolution pick box, then select your resolution from the available choices.
4. Click "Apply" to effect your choice.
5. Click "Save to X Configuration File." (See note below)
Note -- Because you are not root, you cannot save the configuration file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf (which is a file that belongs to root). You have to become root in a terminal and cp (copy) it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
#cp /home/yourname/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
P.S. I have an nVidia 8500 GT that all my systems love; but I also have an nVidia 9300 GE that many of my systems do not like.
FitchKendall AT Gmail.com
Last edited by Ian_Robinson; 01-28-2011 at 07:45 PM.