Old 06-13-2011, 01:31 AM

I just migrated here after running Slackware for a few years. I must say this PBImaker is the definition of sweet. A LOT simpler than building packages than the Slack way. I'm assuming this will be an effort to do away with ready made PBI's. If not, can the PBI's I've made in a directory be submitted to the PBI repo for consideration or are those PBI's built another way?

Thx in advance.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 PM

The PBI terminology can be a little confusing at first, so I'll try to clear that up. There are PBI packages, which are all-in-one archives that can be installed on a computer. And there are PBI modules, which are basically instruction sets telling a build server how to make a PBI package. Basically PBI modules tell the build server what pieces it needs to assemble a PBI package which can be downloaded and installed.

The PBImaker program creates modules, the instruction sets the build server needs. You're welcome to submit any modules you make to the PBI developer list where we can look over the module and add it to the PC-BSD build server. It'll create a PBI package that will then be available to all PC-BSD users.

I hope that's clear. The address for the developer list is pbi-dev@lists.pcbsd.org
Old 06-23-2011, 05:54 PM

The PBImaker program has reached a point where I feel it's ready for use by the general public... or at least by people looking to make their own PBI modules. I've submitted the program to FreeBSD Ports where I'm hoping it will be included and be easily accessible to PC-BSD (and FreeBSD) users.

You can follow the port's progress here: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=158209

Update: The PBImaker has been accepted into FreeBSD's Ports Collection. It's listed as "sysutils/pbimaker".

Last edited by thnewguy; 06-26-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-18-2011, 08:56 PM

pbimaker doesn't work on Isotope as of yet?

I installed it from the Appcafe and tried to make a pbi of google-earth [as root] and the error says that ./pbimaker and pbimaker aren't valid commands.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:07 PM

It may not be installed in your path. If you installed PBImaker through the pakcage manager, you'll probably have to specify the full path (or copy PBImaker into your path). It's probably installed in /Programs/pbimaker/bin/pbimaker
Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 PM

I didn't su to root when I did mkdir for the build folder. Doesn't matter. Google-earth in ports has a few newer files than isotope does that conflict. I'll figure out how to get what I want eventually. Thx anyway.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 PM

Just an additional piece of info for this thread:
While the pbimaker port/program is still available, thenewguy and myself have created "EasyPBI" as a GUI'fied successor to pbimaker. It only works for the 9.x PBI format, but supports creation of PBI modules, building the actual PBI file using the module, and an advanced PBI module editor functionality. EasyPBI will be included in the base PC-BSD system starting with PC-BSD 9.1, but for now you can build the current version (1.2) from source [1] or use the older version (1.0) available in the AppCafe as a PBI.

[1] http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/...rc-qt4/EasyPBI
To build from source: (requires SVN and development-qt system package)
Code:
svn co svn://svn.pcbsd.org/pcbsd/current/src-qt4/EasyPBI EasyPBI-source
cd EasyPBI-source
qmake-qt4 EasyPBI.pro
su (and supply proper root password)
make
Then type "EasyPBI" to start the program.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 AM

WHY is the Autobuild PBI from Quake3Arena not working ?
PCBSD9 games/quake3
PCBSD10 games/quake3