Old 09-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Default README First
This forum is for reporting bugs found in the KDE desktop environment. When posting a bug, please:

1. Search this forum first to see if the bug has already been reported. If a thread already exists, respond to that thread instead of starting a new one.

2. If the bug is not reported yet, start a new thread with a descriptive title.

3. Describe how to get to the screen where the bug occurs, then describe the bug.

Bugs include error messages and any missing functionality. If there are desktop features that have not been included (e.g. other packages that can be added to make using this desktop more useful), report those as well and indicate whether or not a FreeBSD package already exists.

NOTE: This forum may or not be the best place to report a KDE bug. When in doubt, post here and we'll help you get your bug to the correct place so it can be fixed.

1. If you think the bug occurs due to the PC-BSD implementation of KDE (e.g. an existing FreeBSD package is not installed or a PC-BSD setting is breaking something), this is definitely the best place to report the bug.

2. If you think the bug occurs due to the way KDE was ported to FreeBSD or that a KDE component does not exist as a FreeBSD port, you should instead report the bug to the FreeBSD KDE team. Instructions for doing so can be found at http://freebsd.kde.org/bugs.php.

3. If you think the bug is in KDE itself, you should report the bug to the KDE team. Instructions for doing so can be found at https://bugs.kde.org.

Last edited by drulavigne; 09-17-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 AM

Default [PC-BSD 1.5.1] Unable to login after fresh install.
Greetings forum.
I just downloaded and installed PC-BSD 1.5.1 and after rebooting from the install, as prompted, I was presented with an error just prior to the login screen.

The error reads:
Quote:
Authenticating username.....

A critical error occured.
Please look at KDM's logfile(s) or contact your system administrator.
I clicked on the 'OK' button and was taken to the KDE login screen where I entered the user name and password that I created during the install process and my login fails.

For some reason, it seems that the user and password didn't get created?
I tried to login with the root account that I created (also at installation) and that also fails with "Login Failed".

I have searched the Internet looking for a solution to this error and was only able to locate one item that was similar. This is the link; http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=2053

The significant differences are that this user was actually able to log in "a couple of times" before future attempts failed and, he is using PC-BSD 7.1.

I have discussed this error at the FreeBSD forum and it was suggested that I post the error here because 'they' consider (and run) KDE, and all desktop/window managers "third-party" add-ons.

Has anyone run into this error before? Does anyone know what is causing this error? And is there a solution?

In hopes that this information will be helpful, I am posting the output of
Code:
 egrep -i 'allow|deny' /etc/ssh/sshd_config

grep 'jaaj' /etc/passwd
as mentioned in the topic listed above.

Output of the grep commands:

Code:
pcbsd# egrep -i 'allow|deny' /etc/ssh/sshd_config
be allowed through the ChallengeResponseAuthentication and
AllowTcpForwarding yes
AllowTcpForwarding no

Code:
pcbsd# grep 'jaaj' /etc/passwd
pcbsd#

Obviously, jaaj is the name of the user.

If anyone can provide help, ideas or suggestions, I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance.

jaaj