Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 PM

Default Advocacy Ideas (from PC-BSD Blog)
Hi,

PC-BSD advocacy is a grass-root task(s), no doubt about this. Truism.

Being at every Linux or BSD conference/exhibition/trade etc all over the world is a daunting task, unworkable, and, what's more, not enough, if not a waste of time. Linux users, BSD users are generally groups of convinced users and highly motivated to their "toys" - Linux <-> Linux and xBSD <-> xBSD - respectively. Then?

Several years ago I volunteered to provide PR job to one of Polish Linuxes. Let's sums up the tasks.

News. Provide every possible Linux or PC IT media outlet with constant flow of verified and succinct news snippets (without a "flooding").

Linux portals
Add PC-BSD translation works into active development lists/rankings, send every important information on PC-BSD development status, publish every possible text on usefulness and uniqueness of PC-BSD (article, tips&tricks, own remarks, comments, etc).

PC magazines
Request PCm's CD/DVDs contained PC-BSD from time to time (once in one/half year). Write articles illustrated with screenshots (users), send news with excellent (publishing grade) photos from Linux/BSD events where BSD booths where present (PC-BSD/iXsystems).

MSM press/magazines/newsletters
Most of the world and local (on countries and towns levels) MSM media have IT/Tech columns. With everyday news on portals, and once a week on weekend magazines. Those outlets MUST be provided with PC-BSD development information. The MSM media are read by IT managers, bankers, officers, government and educational employees, IT professionals, etc - in short - by people who may decide or advice on spendings.

Linux forums
Without trolling, what means signing posts with true names (recommended but not sine qua non). Jumping into discussion where it would be advantages - not pushing PC-BSD agenda down the throats the forum participants.

High schools/Universities
Find out BSD users groups asking them for recorded presentations if they had any on PC-BSD. Add such acquired media into common media database and send them to YouTube and other services of that sort. Find out possibility to present PC-BSD on campuses.

Local BSD Users Groups
List country BSD Users Group and ask/invite them to join PC-BSD campaign/efforts to promote oncoming "revolutionary" PC-BSD 9.0 ("revolutionary" will be explained when I wrote about inconsistent information on PC-BSD development from PC-BSD team).

I will end the list here. Let me now suggest what to do.

Let's create PC-BSD Propaganda Center (Public Relations is euphemism to propaganda) which will coordinate efforts in every possible country where BSD users groups exist.

Those who would like to manage PC-BSD Advocacy Campaign in a given country didn't have to belong to any BSD users groups. Every initiative would be priceless.

From my own experience - one to three PC-BSD users would suffice to cover a country with this effort. I worked on the aforementioned Polish Linux Distro alone with good results. Nevertheless I must admit that the Distro was cute. ;-) I wouldn't undertake the task to promote the Distro if it wasn't "saleable". I'm not that daring. ;-)

Regards
Old 09-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Good ideas. Just a few points to add.

Regarding Linux conferences, I do at least a dozen booths a year for the North American ones. From my experience, about 10% of attendees aren't interested in anything other than Linux and will avoid the BSD booth like the plague. The rest of the attendees are very open and nearly all have tried BSD in the past or have some BSD systems kicking around somewhere. I never leave a conference with leftover DVDs or horns and usually run out of both early in the day. Most common questions are "what's the difference between BSD and Linux?", "why do you use BSD rather than Linux?", and "it's been a while since I used BSD, what's new?". As for conference organizers, they are very open to non-Linux talks (and often seek them out), are more than happy to have BSD booth(s), and most offer the BSDA exam alongside the LPIC exams. It may be different in Europe, but this is the case for North America.

Publication is an excellent way to get the "BSD" word into the mainstream and before users who don't think about BSD on a daily basis. If anyone publishes a PC-BSD article, let us know so we can point to it.

We'll be discussing ways to put some life into spreadbsd.org this weekend during OLF. Since that site already exists, it is a logical starting point for advocacy efforts.

Cheers,

Dru
Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by drulavigne View Post
Good ideas. Just a few points to add.

(...) We'll be discussing ways to put some life into spreadbsd.org this weekend during OLF. Since that site already exists, it is a logical starting point for advocacy efforts.

Well, we may help, but all is up to you, PC-BSD Team.

Regards
Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Administrator

P202@

We can provide tools and supports and help to generate ideas, but advocacy is really up to the users :-)
Old 09-09-2010, 02:39 PM

P202@

We can provide tools and supports and help to generate ideas, but advocacy is really up to the users :-)
What about decisions and feedback? :-)

Regards
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM

We'll be discussing ways to put some life into spreadbsd.org this weekend during OLF. Since that site already exists, it is a logical starting point for advocacy efforts.

Cheers,

Dru
Good to hear spreadbsd.org is still in the works. Please let us know any updates to the site or if we can help in any way. Hmm, perhaps once things get a little further along we should have a thread here explaining the mechanics, etc.

Also, I know there is 1 or 2 PC-BSD groups on facebook, but it doesn't look like they're very active. Perhaps, if we aren't already maintaining one of them, we could try to get interesting articles, etc posted on a more regular basis and work a bit harder on getting more people to like/join the group. I believe there's only like 140ish members of one and 25 of the other, plus a group for PC-BSD Peru.