Old 07-27-2010, 10:52 AM

Default modify date and time in 8.1
Hi,
I just realised that i can not modify the date/time any more ! In System Settings, Date & Time, i see a message "You are not allowed to save the configuration".
Any modification i do gives me the following error message :
Unable to authenticate/execute the action: 4,
Sow how do i modify the time now ?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:54 PM

Were you root?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 AM

No root, just normal user login. I don't even get the question/button to run it in Administrator Mode (like with the System Manager or the Services Manager).
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 AM

I seem to be not the only one with this problem : http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=88528. Don't know if there is any solution yet.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:15 PM

Silly question: If you right-click on the clock on the taskbar to bring up its menu, can you adjust the date/time that way?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Default modify date and time in 8.1
I still don't know why KDE4 doesn't have an "administrator" button in
the system-settings for tools which need root... But in the meantime,
give this a shot:

% kdesu kcmshell4 clock
Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 PM

@thnewguy : right clic does bring up the "Adjust date and time" and the "Digital clock settings", but does not permit to modify date and/or time settings.

@kmoor134 : that brings up the (same) screen to modify date & time, but with the same (error) message that i am not allowed to save the configuration.
I am stuck with the UTC timezone too. What is weird (for me) is that i can change in Country/Region settings on the Date & Time-tab but it seems to have no effect on the clock. Changing p. ex. the clock from ap/pm to 24hours display, changes nothing to the clock display, whick is still displaying in am/pm format. I changed my locale to Belgium with the US English language, no problem. I can change the currency to Euro, no problem. It even show ok at the bottom of the window. But it changes nothing in the clock.
I even (re)launched tzsetup to change my timezone to Brussels. The program starts up, i follow the instructions, but nothing changes. I get stuck in UTC as default local timezone.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Give sysinstall a shot. Run as root and change the date/time from there.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 AM

It seems that modifying the Country/REgion settings does affect the clock settings ! Now i have a 24hour display with the correct locale... A logout/login should take care of the new settings i think (even if it is not shown as such).
But the original problem still remains : i am still not allowed to save the configuration in the Date & Time panel.
But the problem can be bypassed :-)
Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 AM

I just ran into the same problem: KDE displays the date/time setting to the normal user but complains only in the end that one does not have the rights to do the changes.

Being logged in as normal user also doesn't let you open the /usr/local/kde4/bin/systemsettings as root or with sudo. Logging-in to KDE as root is not allowed, either. So you cannot use the KDE tools in any way.

That left me with sysinstall, indeed. Which was easy. But I also had to change the clock display in KDE to reflect the changed time zone.

This leaves me with some suggestions: Could you take out (completely disable) the date/time setting from KDE to not confuse users about what they can change at what they can't? Furthermore, I think when I installed PC-BSD, I was asked to chose my location - but then it seems this information is not used to set the time zone correctly (I chose "Brussels" but ended up with UTC). I only noticed the problem when I received several e-mails a few hours in the past. Maybe the location could be used to set the correct time zone?

Best regards
SolarCatcher