After installing 8.1, i see that the Desktop Search uses both Nepomuk and Strigi now (activated by default).
But my cpu usage goes to 80-90% with the nepomukservices on. I know that indexing a new system may take some time, but after 2 days it should be indexed, no ?
So, is this a normal behaviour from nepomuk/strigi or not ? What do i loose when deactivating the Desktop Search/Neopomuk Semantik Desktop ?
I just realised that i can not modify the date/time any more ! In System Settings, Date & Time, i see a message "You are not allowed to save the configuration".
Any modification i do gives me the following error message :
Unable to authenticate/execute the action: 4,
Sow how do i modify the time now ?
I'm not sure about "normal" but it certainly seems common for the indexing to go over-board. All the indexing does is speed up searches for files. If you want, you can safely turn off the indexing service. Or delete the indexing program.
The nepomuk service is a resouce eater and seems buggier in FreeBSD than in the linux versions. I would disable it. You can use the locate command if you are willing to build the index once in a while. Go to
The only problem with this setup is that all users can see all files on your system via the locate command.
For the time settings, you probably accepted the ntp settings during installation. You can edit your settings in ntpd.conf or try running
in a console window as root. Your time settings should update.
I remove strigi and nepo completely. Saves lot of hassle.
|Please search the forum prior to posting. Intellectual laziness is not nice. | (Does not apply to non-offenders =))