Old 07-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation Firefox and Adobe Flash Plugin
Firefox and Macromedia Flash Plugin

Macromedia Flash plugin is not available for PC-BSD/FreeBSD. However, a software layer (wrapper) for running the Linux version of the plugin exists. This wrapper also supports Adobe Acrobat plugin, RealPlayer plugin and more.

According to the version of PC-BSD/FreeBSD you run various steps are required:

Under PC-BSD/FreeBSD 7.X

Install the www/nspluginwrapper port. This port requires emulators/linux_base-fc4 which is a large port.

The next step is to install the www/linux-flashplugin9 port. This will install Flash 9.X, this version is known to run correctly under FreeBSD 7.X.

Quote:
Note: On PC-BSD/FreeBSD versions older than 7.1-RELEASE you have to install www/linux-flashplugin7 and skip the linprocfs(5) part below.
Under PC-BSD/FreeBSD 8.X

Install the www/nspluginwrapper port. This port requires emulators/linux_base-f10 which is a large port.

The next step is to install the www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 port. This will install Flash 10.X, this version is known to run correctly under FreeBSD 8.X.

This version will require the following link to be created:
# ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so \
/usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/

Once the right Flash port, according to the Pc-BSD/FreeBSD version you run, is installed, the plugin must be installed by each user with nspluginwrapper:

% nspluginwrapper -v -a -i

The Linux process file system, [url=http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=linprocfs&sektion=5]linprocfs(5)[url] has to be mounted on /usr/compat/linux/proc, if one wants to play Flash animations. This can be done via the following command:

# mount -t linprocfs linproc /usr/compat/linux/proc

This point can be automated at boot time with the addition of the matching line in /etc/fstab:
Quote:
linproc /usr/compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0
Then, start your browser, enter about: plugins in the location bar and press Enter. A list should appear with all the currently available plugins.

Last edited by Galraedia; 07-29-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Galraedia View Post
Firefox and Macromedia Flash Plugin

Macromedia Flash plugin is not available for PC-BSD/FreeBSD. However, a software layer (wrapper) for running the Linux version of the plugin exists. This wrapper also supports Adobe Acrobat plugin, RealPlayer plugin and more.

According to the version of PC-BSD/FreeBSD you run various steps are required:

Under PC-BSD/FreeBSD 7.X

Install the www/nspluginwrapper port. This port requires emulators/linux_base-fc4 which is a large port.

The next step is to install the www/linux-flashplugin9 port. This will install Flash 9.X, this version is known to run correctly under FreeBSD 7.X.

Under PC-BSD/FreeBSD 8.X

Install the www/nspluginwrapper port. This port requires emulators/linux_base-f10 which is a large port.

The next step is to install the www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 port. This will install Flash 10.X, this version is known to run correctly under FreeBSD 8.X.

This version will require the following link to be created:
# ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so \
/usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/

Once the right Flash port, according to the Pc-BSD/FreeBSD version you run, is installed, the plugin must be installed by each user with nspluginwrapper:

% nspluginwrapper -v -a -i

The Linux process file system, [url=http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=linprocfs&sektion=5]linprocfs(5)[url] has to be mounted on /usr/compat/linux/proc, if one wants to play Flash animations. This can be done via the following command:

# mount -t linprocfs linproc /usr/compat/linux/proc

This point can be automated at boot time with the addition of the matching line in [i]/etc/fstab[i]:

Then, start your browser, enter about: plugins in the location bar and press Enter. A list should appear with all the currently available plugins.

Didn't work for me; instead, I used the following command:
nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

Also, with the default installation of PC-BSD 8.1, all needed ports are installed and linproc is mounted on /compat/linux/proc. You don't need to modify fstab nor execute any additional command.

I hope it's helpful for someone...

Regards
Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Thumbs up Big help, predicador37!
predicador37,

I, too, only needed to use

Code:
nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
In PC-BSD 8.1, there is no need to download linux-f10-flashplugin10. I merely had to install the nspluginwrapper and then use pred's suggested commands.

Thank you -- both of you.

Peace+

Jackson
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Default Big help, predicador37!
Those ports are already included in 8.1, and for added convenience we
have a on / off script you can run as your user:

% flashpluginctl off
% flashpluginctl on
Old 08-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks everyone for clearing a few things up.
kmoore134 feel free to correct any of the errors in my original post to reflect any changes in setting up the flash player plugin for Firefox.