Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 AM

Default Keyboard sound volume and mute keys
Anyone got the Saitek Eclipse 1 keyboard volume and mute keys to work?

This keyboard has three "multimedia" keys on it - volume up, volume down and mute. xev does NOT recognize those keys.

My System Settings -> Keyboard Layout -> Keyboard model is set to Generic 104-key PC.

Any ports package that you have tested and KNOW works those non-xev keys on PC-BSD 8.0?

Those keys show on ubuntu xev according to some forums, but the posters are unclear on whether they refer to Eclipse 2 and/or/xor Eclipse 1. Yeah, the keyboards may work differently.

A step by step guide might be of help to a PC BSD user who does not intrinsically care for the depths of X/KDE?

I develop software and admin a LAN dev environment which I just moved to PC BSD from OpenBSD. Why? BSD, binary ports I need, out-of-the-box desktop environment/visual config, less perceived attitude. So, now I play music on the box too.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Have you check under the advance tab? There are extra functions for getting different keys working.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the reply Fatmice!

What apparently relevant I did find under System Settings -> Advanced tab is that the khotkeys daemon indeed is running as a startup service.

I did not find much info on khotkeys that would be applicable here though, but I have looked through the khotkeysrc file and it does not appear to work on key scancode level. The general khotkeysrc shortcut format is "Ctrl+S", or "Alt+D", not "0x56" or "164", so I do not know how to tell it what volume up, down and mute is unless an intermediate app/daemon translates these.

Of course, since the keys are not recognized in the current X11/KDE setup, they can not be set as shortcuts in KMix Settings (my first bet), or in the System Settings -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Standard / Global Keyboard Shortcuts.

I have found two likely solutions, the "LinEAK" (lineak + klineakconfig) and "hotkeys" FreeBSD ports. Both claim to identify/translate the media/internet keyboard keys and presumably mediate between the hardware key scancode level and the X11/KDE key description ("Ctrl", "A", "VolumeUp").

Since I have never used any of those ports, I thought I'd ask around first to see if anyone did actually set up one of them or a similar port on this purpose. I hoped to avoid hitting a wall in the middle of a conf by getting some pointers on how to go about this thing. Someone always knows the more elegant way .
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 AM

Hehe, unfortunately I do not. You could just go for it and experiment. It is unlikely that installing the port will break your world and kde.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Maybe the uhidd driver is able to recognise your multimedia keys.
http://wiki.freebsd.org/uhidd
I haven't tested it, and it seems you need to change some kernel settings and compile a custom kernel for using it.