Old 01-14-2012, 04:50 PM

deleted previous message

Last edited by caieng; 01-14-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: network cable unplugged
Old 01-15-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by CAIENG
Maybe there is another explanation, for my inability to install PC-BSD. I don't know enough about it....
I found one mistake, on attempting again to install LXDE:

That is to write, I found one error on my part:
I had failed to "add user", that is to indicate, I failed to click on the icon labeled "add user", since I had just entered the user name and password, and did not comprehend, that having typed that information, the installer required yet another confirmation from the user, i.e. again demanding that the user click on the add user icon.

To me this is completely counterintuitive, since the user has just entered the information demanded. To then insist that the user once more confirm this information is silly.

However, having now learned this extra, redundant step in the process, I continued, but again received the infamous "abort" message. I have again failed to install this OS. I am suspicious of the user name. Can someone confirm that a single letter for the user name suffices, or, alternatively, if not, how many letters are required...?

I did download and attempt installation of the most recent version of Suse, and it does in fact demand TWO letters for the user name, as I had remembered from years gone by.....

Here is the error message "commitDIskLabel was called without any partition entries for it!"
CAI ENG
Old 01-15-2012, 10:46 AM

one more question:

where in the installation process, does the user indicate a desire for GRUB to operate from the selected partition, not from the MBR?

Maybe I haven't encountered that option because the installation fails, as noted above, or, maybe there is no opportunity for the user to specify this choice, maybe GRUB automatically, with PC-BSD, functions by overwriting the MBR....?

CAI ENG
Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Administrator

GRUB configuration must be done post-installation:http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Dual_Booting.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 AM

Default auto logins
... Are totally silly. & of course you have to create a nonroot user to finish the install. Security is everyone's responsibility. I find it useful to install more then one desktop as each has its advantages. The default install is perfectly good.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM

Default The name PC-BSD ?? How about "easier-BSD" instead?
Originally Posted by drulavigne View Post
GRUB configuration must be done post-installation:http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Dual_Booting.
Thanks drulavigne, I studied the link, (much appreciated), and it looks as though the MBR is overwritten by default, but then the user can restore the former MBR.....

Perhaps I misunderstood the message at that link, but that was my understanding of the method employed by PC-BSD....

Originally Posted by whitelightning777
auto logins ... Are totally silly.
You are certainly welcome to your opinion.

May I ask whether you must enter a password and username to operate your motor vehicle?

No? Well, then, how about your microwave? Will it function satisfactorily without entering a username and password?

Television?

ordinary, old fashioned FM radio????

NO???

Then, why would you insult yourself, by supposing that you know better than I do, the purpose for which I intend to use my computer?

Quote:
of course you have to create a nonroot user to finish the install.
how childish.

Go try puppy linux.

But, in any event, that was not my question.

My question concerned the quantity of characters required to establish a bona fide user? I gave the illustration of SUSE linux which, (more faithful to the original K&R/ATT UNIX, than most of the other Linux') demands a minimum of two characters for the user name.

I inquired about this issue, precisely because I have thus far FAILED to install the os, and I am wondering if the reason for this failure may be related to my entering only a single character for the user name? I did not inquire whether or not one could omit the user. I did comment that it struck me, at least, as redundant to demand that the user FIRST enter the user name, and password, AND THEN click on the "add user" icon.

In ignorance, I had supposed that this icon was present to assist those seeking to have multiple users sharing the same cpu, so that a SECOND user's information could be entered in the same manner as the first user's data.

However, that is not how this installer operates. This installer presupposes that the user is thinking like a UNIX administrator, rather than a personal computer user. Unlike the personal computer user, the UNIX administrator imagines that he/she will have MANY users.

Here is the error message:

"commitDIskLabel was called without any partition entries for it!"

Does this error message convey some kind of useful diagnostic information, explaining my error, to someone who understands PC-BSD? It makes no sense to me, at all.

CAI ENG
Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Default wtf, chromium/ChromeOS ? is not even an OS
and even if it is, it's nuthin' but a proprietary rip-off of *BSD (just like how Jobs created the MacOSX), ... anyway, who cares.
This, more or less, should really be shoved into the "Advocacy" forum.
*BSD should be able to fit anyone's needs, anytime, anywhere, anyhow,..., as long as you're willing to work for it.
But that is about it,
just like any other so-called "distro" -which *BSD really isn't, beauty is simply in the eye of the beholder.
If Linux,..., fits your bill, then so be it, ..., same with PCBSD.
we are all, in a way, "basturdized' Unix's, in some form or another.
pcbsd9 (LXDE) is pretty-good, imho, and ya much better than Lubuntu too.
but, hey

It's ALL Good, as the Buddha says,...

Last edited by supercobrajet; 01-16-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by supercobrajet
pcbsd9 (LXDE) is pretty-good, imho, and ya much better than Lubuntu too.
Thanks for this assertion.

My test seeks to put a number behind such claims.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...the-cpu-17682/

The difference thus far is this: Lubuntu I can install, effortlessly, without any problem.

PC-BSD, thus far gives me only an error message, and to date, no one on this forum has offered a clue as to the meaning of this message, or how this message relates to whatever step it is that I am doing incorrectly....

CAI ENG
Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM

I am new to *BSD. These are my thoughts. The only mildly negative thing I see using PC-BSD (and I am guessing FreeBSD) is the boot time. Debian, Ubuntu, Linuxmint, etc, boot very fast. PC-BSD lags a bit but it isn't that bad. Everything else works great so far.

I still use Linux, Debian on my laptop amd I plan on setting up another PC with Debian, (Maybe, might just go with PC-BSD.) I like Linux as much as *BSD right now. I think *BSD will have its day soon. PC-BSD is so easy to set up and use I was very impressed and a little surprised. I see good things happening with this and ones like PC-BSD and DesktopBSD are really going to help with the average person switching from Linux and even MS Windows to *BSD.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by PC-Buzz
Debian, Ubuntu, Linuxmint, etc, boot very fast. PC-BSD lags a bit but it isn't that bad.
Thank you PC-Buzz, for sharing your thoughts.

However, that opinion, meritorious though it may be, is based on personal experience, not quantititative analysis.

Please offer some criticism of my benchmark test, or, better yet, supply your own, so that you can put a number besides those remarks:
"lags a bit"....
"boots very fast"....

CAI ENG