Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-30-2010, 08:50 AM
draconian draconian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SAN ANTONIO, TX
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to draconian
Talking Advocacy?
Is there an official PC-BSD advocacy group that concentrates on advocacy/recruitment and that operates similarly to the way the Fedora Project has their Fedora Ambassador sub-project and Artwork design sub-project? (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors) & (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork) For them and for other more successful Linux projects I've noticed this was a big part of creating attention, hype, and getting new users/developers for them to try out their particular distributions.

I re-worded the 3 simple questions that they ask to see if someone wants to be a part of the Fedora Project Ambassador team.

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you like PC-BSD?
2. Do you want to introduce others to the PC-BSD Project?
3. Are you willing to work to spread the word about the PC-BSD Project?

If you've answered yes to these questions, then you're probably already acting as a PC-BSD Advocate, even if you aren't an official part of the PC-BSD team. You're spreading the word about PC-BSD to friends and family, helping people resolve their PC-BSD problems, and talking to folks who are interested in learning more about open source.


This is obviously not the only distribution that does this type of advocacy but it was one of the better explained so that is why I am using it as an example. I have noticed that there were some attempts such as the PC-BSD Team on YouTube and the Ning page, but neither has had much activity in some time. Is it because there was lack of organization or lack of a planned strategy implemented to support cohesion amongst the different efforts? Both seemed to be excellent ideas but needed something to cement them together so that they could move forward and be successful. I am in no way putting either one of those efforts down for trying.

None of the Linux distributions nor Apple would have the level of success that they are currently experiencing if it wasn't for their die-hard fans, advocates and fan boys/fan girls. I am not saying that I have the answer by no means, but would like to see if there are some people willing to be dedicated to spreading the word about PC-BSD through artwork or traditional / non-traditional advocacy and if there is such a group of people, what are the plans and how can others be involved?
Attached Images:
File Type: png pcbsdbutton3.png (11.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png pcbsdbutton1.png (9.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png pcbsdbutton2.png (12.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: png pcbsdbar1.png (8.4 KB, 3 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-30-2010, 03:50 PM
bebuxe bebuxe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: pm me, i'll tell
Posts: 216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to bebuxe
Default
Originally Posted by draconian View Post
Is there an official PC-BSD advocacy group that concentrates on advocacy/recruitment and that operates similarly to the way the Fedora Project has their Fedora Ambassador sub-project and Artwork design sub-project? (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors) & (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork) For them and for other more successful Linux projects I've noticed this was a big part of creating attention, hype, and getting new users/developers for them to try out their particular distributions.
The answer was: yes. The answer now is: no.
hahaha.
Is it there now?: spreadbsd.org

Originally Posted by draconian View Post
[I]Ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you like PC-BSD?
2. Do you want to introduce others to the PC-BSD Project?
3. Are you willing to work to spread the word about the PC-BSD Project?
yes, yes, YES!

Originally Posted by draconian View Post
This is obviously not the only distribution that does this type of advocacy but it was one of the better explained so that is why I am using it as an example. I have noticed that there were some attempts such as the PC-BSD Team on YouTube and the Ning page, but neither has had much activity in some time. Is it because there was lack of organization or lack of a planned strategy implemented to support cohesion amongst the different efforts? Both seemed to be excellent ideas but needed something to cement them together so that they could move forward and be successful. I am in no way putting either one of those efforts down for trying.
The answer is both. Blame Matt Olander for that. It is his job as the marketing department of iXsystems. But I guess now he is busy on some other work. I hope we can build from what he started.

Originally Posted by draconian View Post
None of the Linux distributions nor Apple would have the level of success that they are currently experiencing if it wasn't for their die-hard fans, advocates and fan boys/fan girls. I am not saying that I have the answer by no means, but would like to see if there are some people willing to be dedicated to spreading the word about PC-BSD through artwork or traditional / non-traditional advocacy and if there is such a group of people, what are the plans and how can others be involved?
Well, the answer to that, is that we have not really begun a forum/blog to discuss those ideas of making campaigns. But I guess, until the time being, we can do it here. Also, We have no archiving system set up, just yet, to upload your files to use by other users to advocate (like in spreadfirefox, the apple stickers). But you know who is to blame for that. Can it be done here? YEAH! Here is a previous page that we used for artwork. And now it is hard to find in the main page of the website: http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/38/26/

I want to contact Anton Gural, to ask his permission to use his designs and labels, to make it all in vector format and publish it on different media (like key chains!). But I have not found him. If you are here, please tell me your resolve!
__________________
An important quote from an English Composition professor:
"What may obvious to you, may not be obvious to someone else. That's why we have to write about them."
Godly song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7jhnVdLz50
YEIH! found the original song from the author herself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAcs5QLT4Ic

Last edited by bebuxe; 06-09-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-30-2010, 06:23 PM
draconian draconian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SAN ANTONIO, TX
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to draconian
Default
Bebuxe, I just created the Social Group: PC-BSD Advocacy on the forums. Please feel free to join so that we can brainstorm some ideas on this issue
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-30-2010, 10:04 PM
bebuxe bebuxe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: pm me, i'll tell
Posts: 216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to bebuxe
Default
I already did. But I feel we need Matt or Jnixon should be here listening and/or helping, 'cause the have admin privilages to edit and make the web sites.
__________________
An important quote from an English Composition professor:
"What may obvious to you, may not be obvious to someone else. That's why we have to write about them."
Godly song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7jhnVdLz50
YEIH! found the original song from the author herself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAcs5QLT4Ic
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 PM
thnewguy thnewguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 834
Thanks: 5
Thanked 64 Times in 53 Posts
Default
This is great. I don't do a lot of to advocate PC-BSD, but I hand out to the occasional DVD or stickers or t-shirt. Just to get the brand name out there. I've been hoping for a while now that the BSD card (bsdfund.org) will spread to countries outside the USA so I can get one. I think that would be a great way to show off Beastie.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-15-2010, 02:02 PM
jkxx74 jkxx74 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default
Only my 2c on why Linux is more "popular", I'll check out the advocacy group to see what's been cooked up there. Btw there is again the excellent read at http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd...bsd4linux9.php with things elaborated better than I could possibly do.

So why does Linux get more attention? From what I've seen, the Linux crowd is more vocal about things they disagree on and on arguing about, say, which sound system is better. The flame wars and whatnot tend to attract attention and now Linux has Canonical to talk to OEMs and promote Ubuntu a bit like Firefox and Mozilla.

In the meantime it seems the BSD devs just pick out the most reasonable sound system choice, get cracking on it, and get it to work without much fuss. In the end it works better in BSD but Linux has gotten much more press in the process.

The other disturbing trend is "unusual" metrics and features that people seem to go for. Examples of this include upstart in ubuntu - yes it's nice that the system boots up in 20 sec instead of a minute, but are we going to be rebooting the system all day? Or that it has a nice splash screen that happens to prevent the OS from booting up on certain hardware. And so on and so forth as there are many more examples. The fact these features are seen as important worries me though, as do users who put great importance on an OS that boots up quickly yet has serious problems with audio/video playback (for example) after it's all loaded.

And that's the point where I'm not sure about what else to add. Time to visit the official advocacy threads
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-09-2010, 03:43 AM
P2O2 P2O2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cracow, Poland
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default
Dear Moderator,

Please, move the thread to Advocacy Department, would you?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Fatmice Fatmice is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: US
Posts: 888
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default
Moved to Advocacy
__________________
|================================================= =====|
|Please search the forum prior to posting. Intellectual laziness is not nice. | (Does not apply to non-offenders =))
|================================================= =====|
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 2005-2010, The PC-BSD Project. PC-BSD and the PC-BSD logo are registered trademarks of iXsystems.
All other content is freely available for sharing under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License.