Old 10-15-2005, 05:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to kpm292
Default How to turn off SSH in PC-BSD.
PC-BSD 0.8.2 automatically turns on SSH after the initial install. If you have no need to connect to your machine remotely via SSH, then it would probably be a good idea to turn this option off due to security issues. This can easily be turned off by opening your command line and editing the rc.conf file. To do this follow these simple steps:

1. Open the command line and type in the command "su", without the quotes.

2. Type in your root password.

3. Next type in "cd /etc".

4. Now edit the file by typing "ee rc.conf"

5. Scroll down with the arrow keys until you see this line "sshd_enable="YES".

6. Change this line to "sshd_enable="NO" By deleting the YES and typing in NO.

7. Now press the ESC button and choose the a) option Leave the editor by pressing enter.

8. The next screen will ask you if you want to save changes press the enter key to do so.

Now after you restart your system SSH will be turned off. Hope this helps some of you out.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Re: How to turn off SSH in PC-BSD.
Originally Posted by kpm292
PC-BSD 0.8.2 automatically turns on SSH after the initial install. If you have no need to connect to your machine remotely via SSH, then it would probably be a good idea to turn this option off due to security issues. This can easily be turned off by opening your command line and editing the rc.conf file. To do this follow these simple steps:
There is no need to turn ssh daemon off. Root login is disabled by default (not like in linux) and if you have some problem and can't log in... Ssh is needed for secure file transfer over internet and you friend can help you out, if there is unresolvable problem to you.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:58 AM

Send a message via MSN to kpm292
Yes root login is disabled, but all you need to do is log in as a user and and gain root acess through su and you then pwn the box. I just logged in as a user via SSH on my machine and got root acess through su with no problem at all, after a default install. It would be wise to disable SSHd if you aren't using it. :twisted:
Old 10-15-2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by kpm292
Yes root login is disabled, but all you need to do is log in as a user and and gain root acess through su and you then pwn the box. I just logged in as a user via SSH on my machine and got root acess through su with no problem at all, after a default install. It would be wise to disable SSHd if you aren't using it. :twisted:
It is wise to remove users from wheel group. And remove you stickers with passwords to all your computers from monitor. Period.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:55 PM

Security is relative 8)
My best bet is a tradeoff between security and convenience.
Remove all post it's with the root password from the screen
Leave SSH enable for troubleshooting and convenience purpose, and also leave your account within the wheel group, but only your own account. This shouldn't compromise security, and it still should enable you to access your computer remotely :wink:
Old 10-15-2005, 09:17 PM

I use SSH for the fish:// proto.

seems to be the only way I can transfer files between fbsd.. since samba by default doesn't work.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by shawn
I use SSH for the fish:// proto.

seems to be the only way I can transfer files between fbsd.. since samba by default doesn't work.
why samba doesn't work?

Code:
smb://ip.address