PC-BSD 0.8.2 automatically turns on SSH after the initial install. If you have no need to connect to your machine remotely via SSH, then it would probably be a good idea to turn this option off due to security issues. This can easily be turned off by opening your command line and editing the rc.conf file. To do this follow these simple steps:
1. Open the command line and type in the command "su", without the quotes.
2. Type in your root password.
3. Next type in "cd /etc".
4. Now edit the file by typing "ee rc.conf"
5. Scroll down with the arrow keys until you see this line "sshd_enable="YES".
6. Change this line to "sshd_enable="NO" By deleting the YES and typing in NO.
7. Now press the ESC button and choose the a) option Leave the editor by pressing enter.
8. The next screen will ask you if you want to save changes press the enter key to do so.
Now after you restart your system SSH will be turned off. Hope this helps some of you out.