Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Default Chromium (Google Chrome) for FreeBSD
Google Chrome (http://www.google.com/chrome) (based on the Chromium Project) does not need much introduction any more, especially not to those interested in open source software. It is the best browser available. It is fast, secure, supports bookmark sync and extensions. The Chromium project is the open-source core of the Chrome Browser, and as we reported before, it is also available on FreeBSD.

[...]

Instead of asking for donations to support his work, Sprewel has recently started offering subscriptions for Chromium development. If you are interested in Chrome and want to both continue running it on FreeBSD and its future development, consider supporting the development with a subscription.

More:

http://www.freebsdnews.net/2010/04/2...usiness-model/
Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Interesting idea with the subscriptions, would love to see it in ports
soon though
Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Yeah, we were just talking about this at iX. I'd rather somebody ask for
donations or pledges to get a project done rather than try to encourage
subscribtions, especially for a porting effort.

-matt
Old 04-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Personally, I wouldn't consider it "the best browser available." There are plenty of better browsers out there that, unlike Google Chrome, DON'T engage in data mining and tracking of the user's usage. Also, Chrome may be fast but so is a mentally retarded kid with a hyperactivity disorder, at least until he hits the wall. Chrome crashes more times than a NASCAR rookie. The last time I had it on my computer I couldn't open even a single web page without the thing crashing. Needless to say I had Chrome on my computer for probably less then 30 minutes before I removed it.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:01 AM

I like Chrome, it's well laid out, pretty much what I was doing with Maxthon2 back in 2005. The HTML5 support also looks pretty good with both h.264 and Ogg Theora. I haven't had many crashes with it.

Firefox though is going in the same direction, although I've found it to be Windows optimised - certainly doesn't seem as good on Ubuntu. If Firefox doesn't support h.264 that might be a problem.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to jpaetzel Send a message via Yahoo to jpaetzel
Default Chrome in ports soon
The PR's for Chrome have been submitted.

You need to install linux-alsa first, ports/145964.

Then you can install Chrome, via ports/146302

It's big, 132 Megs, and it conflicts with devel/icu, which is used by lots of stuff, including KDE4. The story there is it uses a patched icu that it includes to build, so it won't build in an environment where icu is installed, but it doesn't need it to run, so you can build it in a chroot or other clean environment, package it, comment out the icu CONFLICT, install chrome and it works fine.

In using it a bit I've noticed that it's fast, and that's compared to opera, which has always seemed faster than konq or firefox to me. I haven't had any crashes, but I've only used it a few hours. Flash and HTML5 video just worked, I haven't sorted out how to make java go, and my guess is the mplayer-plugin is hopeless.

In reality java is not a huge deal to me. Even with a "working" java plugin there are java apps that require me to use IE in XP in Vbox, a prime example would be the java VNC app for Startech IPKVMs or the java console apps for SuperMicro IPMI cards.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:12 AM

Thumbs down
I think that the default Konqueror, Internet Explorer, and Safari way beats Chrome up. It looks bad and steals open-source code (WebKit) without opening its OWN source.
P.S. Chromium is the operating system from google, not the browser. Though the OS has nothing but a browser...great for true netbooks i think
Old 06-09-2010, 03:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to bebuxe
I think google really wants to get sued. And with this licensing of the web browser to BSD, they are asking other people to go down with them. As a matter of law, any code made under GPL 3 or later must be made open, under thirty days, as long as that code was modified. If some additional code that was embedded into the engine, then that code can be licensed in any manner, and be it closed or not. But the engine, and its modification must be shown open. Hopefully either google has prove such is the case, or they must modify their open behavior or license. I hope google takes affirmative action before anyone sues, and anyone gets %^#^%#.

PS
This is meant for everyone, even those learning about licensing and legality in software.
YEIH! found the original song from the author herself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAcs5QLT4Ic

Last edited by bebuxe; 06-09-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Personally, I wouldn't use Google Chrome even if I was paid. Professionally, I wouldn't use it because it's lack luster.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to bebuxe
hahahaha, too funny!
YEIH! found the original song from the author herself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAcs5QLT4Ic