Old 04-22-2010, 07:04 PM

Default GUI Installer Failed
My laptop is am Averatec 3200. I had 1.5 running on it. I do remember I had to modify some files to get it to work in 1.3. I dumped the old hard drive onto a usb drive so I don't have immediate access to the old xorg.conf.

I get the following when running the install dvd.

ERROR: Failed to start GUI Installer with detected driver... Trying VESA mode...

ERROR: Failed to start GUI Installer with VESA mode...
Please check your settings in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
[Press Enter to Continue]

After which I get the "PC-BSD Intallation Menu" which offers graphical and VESA modes that still fail.

I am able to boot Live Mode.

In live boot mood I can start the installer but for some reason it goes flaky at the point I try to assign the root password if I hit the tab key the install GUI and KDE both crash. Otherwise I was able to install.

I had to back out reboot to the PCBSD install exit to utils and use fdisk there to create partitions. The reboot back into live mode to start the install over.

After install I had to go through a few graphic card drivers before unichrome worked for me (I used via in the past but for some reason it doesn't work now)

It would be nice and alot easier if the X-test happened at the begginning rather then the end. It would also be nice to somehow have this xorg.conf file grabbed ahead of an upgrade (non-manually for people like me who forget what's important)

and lastly uhoh no spell check?

Last edited by MD; 04-22-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to rhyous Send a message via MSN to rhyous Send a message via Yahoo to rhyous
So this happened to me this weekened.

Turns out my install media was failing to pass the integrety check (which I normally skip).

I checked the hash of hte download and it was fine. I had also downloaded at work and burnt a DVD at work.

I used the work DVD with no errors at all.

This may not be your issue, but vesa mode should work for everything, so I assume you somehow have the same issue I had.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Administrator

The installer by default is trying to auto-detect the driver to use for your card, however its bad news when even "vesa" fails, since thats our fallback option and should work pretty much everywhere.

In the next few months we'll be releasing 8.1-Beta, which will include an update to xorg 7.5, along with a slew of new video drivers / fixes. Will you be willing to give that a whirl to see if it corrects the issue?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Angry Freeze on install after admin pw entered
I have a similar problem, right after I enter admin pw and user acct. in the gui. I m using a toshiba tv as a monitor and what happens is I get a message from my tv saying unsupported video, tv flickers for a sec and then the install gets rebooted. This happens in all modes of install. I dont know how do a install without the gui and I m not sure that is an option with pcbsd....

Thanks
Old 06-18-2011, 03:09 PM

I have the same problem.

"ERROR: Failed to start GUI Installer with detected driver... Trying VESA mode...

ERROR: Failed to start GUI Installer with VESA mode...
Please check your settings in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
[Press Enter to Continue]

After which I get the "PC-BSD Intallation Menu" which offers graphical and VESA modes that still fail."

I am able to boot live mode. but when i try and install from live mode my computer freezes.

Any idea on how I can get the installer to work?
Old 06-18-2011, 06:09 PM

I'm no expert on PC-BSD but still here's a few things to check/try since it's kind of universal.
You should have checked your md5 sum.
I've no idea what your level of experience is but I check it when I load it into whatever I'm burning the iso with BEFORE I burn it to a medium.
Next, the installer here has an option to check the integrity of the iso file before installing to your hd.

It's entirely possible you may have gotten a bad download or burned the iso at to high a rate of speed.
I always burn at the slowest rate possible to avoid bad burns.
The above can seem like it takes forever but it's still faster than redownloading and starting from square one in the end.

One more point, my first install had some "quirks" as well.
A funky boot where I had to strike the F3 key to continue the boot, screensaver flat would not work, couldn't load my flash drive and a few others.
I did a fresh reinstall and all the quirks went away.
No idea what was wrong with the initial install but it's all good now and I'm happy.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Administrator

This sounds like xorg is failing to bring up your video driver. What
kind of video hardware is in this system?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:58 PM

Hey kris, I just got a new laptop with a GT 540M in it, and it fails to figure out that the graphics chip is nvidia. And more important VESA fails too.

It didn't seem that the installer tried to load the nvidia kernel module.

[edit]
where is the nvidia kernel module located on the DVD? I looked in /boot/kernel and /boot/modules to see if I can find it. Because load nvidia in the boot loader gives me a "can't find 'nvidia'" error. (This is with 9.0-20110607 snapshot)

Last edited by kwm; 06-30-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Administrator

The NVIDIA driver isn't included on the actual install media, it gets installed to disk if you select it only. I'll have to do some tinkering, see how we can work around this, since vesa doesn't work for you as well.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:40 PM

Same issue with my Asus K93SV, i5 CPU, nvidia GT 540M