Old 03-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Default VPN Configuration
Hello,

I just installed PC BSD and very happy how it works, however I have one major problem and couldn't solve it by myself.

My provider use VPN over pptp to connect me to the internet. So I need to make a connection. I read that I can do it with mpd, so I tried to install mpd. But I don't have internet connection, that is why I cand go to /usr/ports/ned/mpd5 and type there make, it asks me for mpd in /usr/ports/distfiles.
so I downloaded mpd-5.5.tar from free bsd ports page and put it into /usr/ports/distfiles/
but when I type make it doesn't install. Terminal tells me that it can't find several filed smth connected with modem. And I don't know what to do.

The same story when I tried to install pppd port and pptp port.

Also I heard that there is kvpnc util for KDE, can anyone tell me how to use it as well.

Now the question about vpn.

When I made connection in win I put address of server, put user name and pass into a form and denied data encryption, and allowed chap and ms-chap 2

How can I set up VPN at PC-BSD to be able to connect to the Internet.

Please help me to solve this problems.

Regards, tupos.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:11 PM

Default Re: VPN Configuration
Anyone?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:34 PM

I am also looking for a GUI based solution to this for PC-BSD for other reasons. I haven't found much in FreeBSD ports other than a few command line utilities. One workaround in the meantime for your situation might be connecting a router to your modem capable of ppoe / pptp and let it handle establishing your Internet connection and then either natting or briding to your pc.

What I plan to do in the meantime for my use is running Virtualbox with Ubuntu and using it to establish my connections to remote networks when i need them inside the VM.