Old 10-10-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Printer Setup, X1185, Authentication Password
Hi again,

Any particular reason why it asks me for a password whenever I try to setup my printer? I get to the "Test" page where it asks me if I want to print a test page and when I press "Test" a prompt comes up saying I need to supply a user name and a password. It has "user name": and "password": text fields and the user name field by default has my user name. I enter the password, my account password but it says authentication failed. Even when I try with root + password. Same story.

Also, my printer is Lexmark X1185, I couldn't find it on the list so I selected "1100" Lexmark, hoping the drivers would be similar and it would work.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Printer Setup, X1185, Authentication Password
Originally Posted by wrx
Hi again,

Any particular reason why it asks me for a password whenever I try to setup my printer? I get to the "Test" page where it asks me if I want to print a test page and when I press "Test" a prompt comes up saying I need to supply a user name and a password. It has "user name": and "password": text fields and the user name field by default has my user name. I enter the password, my account password but it says authentication failed. Even when I try with root + password. Same story.

Also, my printer is Lexmark X1185, I couldn't find it on the list so I selected "1100" Lexmark, hoping the drivers would be similar and it would work.
I have the same problem with it asking me for a password and my user or root password niether one work. I'm using an HP So have you figured it out or got an answer for this?

thanks
Old 10-10-2005, 12:34 PM

where are you setting the printer?

Go to kde Control Center,s printer control.

On the bottom left side, press the button administration mode, type the password and set the printers. It works there.

if you use the utillity on Computer, printer manager, it may still act as it's not in the admin mode. This is my guess as this manager is new and before that i had to set my printer through the kde control center and that exact error used to occur if i had not started the process of adding a printer in admin mode.

Of course, this is something which must be adressed as it is not logical or coherent...

Hope this helps (i am sure it will as i have my printer working here).

Cheers!

RF
Old 10-10-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Woked
Thanks pcbsdusr. That worked. Indeed, I wasn't using the KControl to set up the printer. I used the one by PC-PSD, Computer->PC-BSD Settings->Printer Manager, which is basically the same thing, kpart.

Normally it prompts you for a password whenever you need admin mode.

The other problem is, 1100 model didn't work so I may need to use generic drivers. Mine is x1185 all-one-one, a cheap one too hehe.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:30 PM

Indeed it's the same thing but it should work... If one is prompted for the root password and is able to type it, that should simply work...

Well, maybe in next release
Old 10-11-2005, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by pcbsdusr
where are you setting the printer?

Go to kde Control Center,s printer control.

On the bottom left side, press the button administration mode, type the password and set the printers. It works there.

if you use the utillity on Computer, printer manager, it may still act as it's not in the admin mode. This is my guess as this manager is new and before that i had to set my printer through the kde control center and that exact error used to occur if i had not started the process of adding a printer in admin mode.

Of course, this is something which must be adressed as it is not logical or coherent...

Hope this helps (i am sure it will as i have my printer working here).

Cheers!

RF
Thank you! Very much! It's up and working now. At least it printed a perfect test page after I got the correct driver selected. Have a great day!

Rick