Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 PM

Default dual boot windows 7
First I should say that I am brand new to this forum and have never use bsd of any kind. I am a linux user for about the last 3 years mostly opensuse. I want to try pcbsd just for fun and don't like to use vm's because it never "feels" right for some reason. That said I have an extra hard drive that I dual boot linux and windows. Windows 7 on one and Opensuse on the other. This is a simple setup in linux just install linux on one drive and grub on the other so that you can select either os at startup. Is this the same for pcbsd or are there other things I should be aware of? If there is a guide that covers this please point me to it so that I can have a look. Or if someone else does this please let me know if there is anything special I should be aware of.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 05:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TerryP Send a message via AIM to TerryP Send a message via Yahoo to TerryP
Default Re: dual boot windows 7
Basically it's the same: install each to their own disk primary partition (slice in BSD speak), then setup a boot loader accordingly.

I'm not familiar with the Windows 7 booting process, but assume it's the same as Vista for relevant important matters.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by cydell
Is this the same for pcbsd or are there other things I should be aware of? If there is a guide that covers this please point me to it so that I can have a look. Or if someone else does this please let me know if there is anything special I should be aware of.
Thanks
Much like Terry said, set it up like you did before. I only want to add that during installation of PCBSD, do not install the provided boot manager since you are already using GRUB.

Good luck.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 PM

ok I'm burning the iso now. gonna take the plunge lol. So I don't need to install the pcbsd bootloader? Does that mean that I should just modify grub manually when the installation is finished?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by cydell
ok I'm burning the iso now. gonna take the plunge lol. So I don't need to install the pcbsd bootloader? Does that mean that I should just modify grub manually when the installation is finished?
Yup.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:27 PM

Installation went well no problems to speak of so far. kde is kde so thats familar to me I will have fun learning bsd on this system I think. Great Job!