Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 PM

Default PCBSD 8 install - mouse and keyboard freeze up
At the end of the install of PCBSD 8 64 bit, the mouse and keyboard freeze up so all I could do was hold the power button to shut down. Now I'm back in Ubuntu and maybe I'll find the boot listing for PCBSD so grub can boot it up.

What's wrong with the installer? I thought Unix was even more stable than Linux, I guess not.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 PM

Default Re: PCBSD 8 install - mouse and keyboard freeze up
Hm, don't know how to help you yet. I haven't play with 8.0. It just got release yesterday.

7.1.1 works fine for me.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 PM

Did the install finish? What kind of keyboard are you using? Any dmesg output? I'm 37 minutes away from the final download & will install it, but I didn't have any problems with the release candidates before this & I have a bluetooth G7 wireless mouse & a Logitech wireless keyboard.

The more information you can gather, the better. I'm coming over from Linux, also & am hoping to do a lot with PC-BSD
Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by spideyak
Did the install finish? What kind of keyboard are you using? Any dmesg output? I'm 37 minutes away from the final download & will install it, but I didn't have any problems with the release candidates before this & I have a bluetooth G7 wireless mouse & a Logitech wireless keyboard.

The more information you can gather, the better. I'm coming over from Linux, also & am hoping to do a lot with PC-BSD
It finished, but then I couldn't use the mouse thats wireless. and just a regular logitech keyboard.

I've used PCBSD about a year ago and thought I would give it another try. I'm thinking now that it's not worth it.

Maybe someone else can tell use why the installed has these problems. It also has a very short list of time zones. Ubuntu does a far better job at this. I want to like PCBSD but not when such obvious problems occur with the installer.

I may just reinstall again and hope for better luck.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 PM

In about 20 minutes, I'll try to install it on my system. I have quite a different problem that the release candidates were not able to handle, but my keyboard & mouse worked. Doesn't mean the final release will , but here's hoping.

Is your keyboard USB or PS/2? If it's USB, it could be the way BSD, in general, implements the USB stack, so FreeBSD forums might have answers. It's similar to finding config answers in Debian forums for Ubuntu...

If you redo your install, pay particular attention to the .ko loads & see if the USB is the same (just pulling at straws here...) as the boot load after install.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:53 PM

In about 20 minutes, I'll try to install it on my system. I have quite a different problem that the release candidates were not able to handle, but my keyboard & mouse worked. Doesn't mean the final release will , but here's hoping.

Is your keyboard USB or PS/2? If it's USB, it could be the way BSD, in general, implements the USB stack, so FreeBSD forums might have answers. It's similar to finding config answers in Debian forums for Ubuntu...

If you redo your install, pay particular attention to the .ko loads & see if the USB is the same (just pulling at straws here...) as the boot load after install.
when I installed PCBSD7 last year I didn't have any of these problems. Now with the new installer there are many problems.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Did you try straight FreeBSD?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:17 PM

Did you try straight FreeBSD?
No, didn't want to bother with all the configuring. I used to use Arch Linux which is very popular, but even it had troubles with upgrades.

Mandriva, Mint, Ubuntu, and now openSuse have all worked very well and I was hoping to get PC BSD to install, maybe another day or if some of the veterans around this forum care to help us newbies. :wink:
Old 02-24-2010, 08:31 AM

Hey vinoman,

I'm setting up some computers for a company here. Of course, they can't allow piracy because they may get sued or fined. They have one Win2000, two WinXP licenses and the rest are going to have to be PC-BSD.

Well, one monster of a computer (AMD quad core - I think Phenom 1, 2.x GHz, with 4 GB of RAM) did the exact same thing. After installation, no input. As far as I can remember, both USB. The keyboard is some curvy, black Microsoft thing while the mouse is A4Tech.

But the real problem seems to be different: I thought ok, I can reset the system and try again. Not really. The thing keeps rebooting each second, so fast that the monitor can't get enough time to display anything and just stays in that sleep state where it doesn't get any signal.

My first guess was the RAM. After removing one stick, it worked, but not for long. Removing both sticks didn't help, either - same behaviour.

So it must be something else. Next culprit on my list is the power supply, which I'll try to replace today and see if this still happens.

It sounds like your computer has a completely different diagnostic, but I thought that telling you this story might be beneficial.

Good luck!

EDIT: I was installing 32-bit PC-BSD, 8.0 release, from a DVD. I got the input freeze right on the screen where I was supposed to pick a screen resolution, on the first reboot after install.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Thy_Pope
Hey vinoman,

I'm setting up some computers for a company here. Of course, they can't allow piracy because they may get sued or fined. They have one Win2000, two WinXP licenses and the rest are going to have to be PC-BSD.

Well, one monster of a computer (AMD quad core - I think Phenom 1, 2.x GHz, with 4 GB of RAM) did the exact same thing. After installation, no input. As far as I can remember, both USB. The keyboard is some curvy, black Microsoft thing while the mouse is A4Tech.

But the real problem seems to be different: I thought ok, I can reset the system and try again. Not really. The thing keeps rebooting each second, so fast that the monitor can't get enough time to display anything and just stays in that sleep state where it doesn't get any signal.

My first guess was the RAM. After removing one stick, it worked, but not for long. Removing both sticks didn't help, either - same behaviour.

So it must be something else. Next culprit on my list is the power supply, which I'll try to replace today and see if this still happens.

It sounds like your computer has a completely different diagnostic, but I thought that telling you this story might be beneficial.

Good luck!

EDIT: I was installing 32-bit PC-BSD, 8.0 release, from a DVD. I got the input freeze right on the screen where I was supposed to pick a screen resolution, on the first reboot after install.
This confirms why I will wait until the next version of PCBSD 8.1 which will hopefully fix all these problems that shouldn't happen to begin with.

You would be better off with Mint or openSuse for your business.