Old 02-22-2010, 10:08 PM

Default Please help me identify a skin/theme/color scheme/whatever :
Hi everyone,

I'd love to use one certain interface style I've seen in screenshots all over the internet, but can't find out what it is.

If you google PCBSD, then go to Google Images, it's the second screenshot. If you google PC-BSD, it is the first screenshot.

That theme or whatever it's called, has a red-black wireframe snail in the upper-right area on the wallpaper.
Also, the "launch" menu and the desktop and everything else are customized precisely as I would want to have them.

Maybe you'd like to know that PC-BSD has been picked as the free OS of choice for a local newspaper. They need to have 100% legal software on their computers. This is what was picked, seems to be the one without headaches for the user.

There is also a second question. PC-BSD, upon installation, uses the entire available space on a disk drive for the UFS2 partition and the swap partition. Sure, you can shrink it but no way can you make part1, part2, part3, ... and the swap partition, in that order.
No, I could only shrink the UFS2 partition and that's it. Couldn't really split it in two or more.

Now, is there a way to do that post-install ? Is there a tool to do that, preferably one that can be put on a bootcd or livecd ?
And don't be shy in telling me if you can do that at installation time, either. I still have to install the OS on one or two computers. I only did one so far.

Thank you!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Please help me identify a skin/theme/color scheme/whatever :
Originally Posted by Thy_Pope
Hi everyone,

I'd love to use one certain interface style I've seen in screenshots all over the internet, but can't find out what it is.

If you google PCBSD, then go to Google Images, it's the second screenshot. If you google PC-BSD, it is the first screenshot.

That theme or whatever it's called, has a red-black wireframe snail in the upper-right area on the wallpaper.
Also, the "launch" menu and the desktop and everything else are customized precisely as I would want to have them.

Maybe you'd like to know that PC-BSD has been picked as the free OS of choice for a local newspaper. They need to have 100% legal software on their computers. This is what was picked, seems to be the one without headaches for the user.

There is also a second question. PC-BSD, upon installation, uses the entire available space on a disk drive for the UFS2 partition and the swap partition. Sure, you can shrink it but no way can you make part1, part2, part3, ... and the swap partition, in that order.
No, I could only shrink the UFS2 partition and that's it. Couldn't really split it in two or more.

Now, is there a way to do that post-install ? Is there a tool to do that, preferably one that can be put on a bootcd or livecd ?
And don't be shy in telling me if you can do that at installation time, either. I still have to install the OS on one or two computers. I only did one so far.

Thank you!
1/ It would be nice if you remember to include links to what you are talking about, i.e. don't make your helper dig it out :?
2/ The version that you described is PCBSD 7.0-Fibonacci. The current version is PCBSD 7.1.1, which I'm assuming that you are installing on your machine(s).
3/ The theme that you want to use to emulate the striking colors of that release is called "Elegance" (right click on desktop, select Appearance settings, set the theme, click okay)
4/ The wallpaper that you will want is obtained through the PCBSD repository. Open terminal and type
Code:
svn export svn://svn.pcbsd.org/pcbsd/branches/7.0/system-overlay/usr/local/kde4/share/wallpapers/Fibonacci
5/ The above will download the wallpaper to your current directory. Escalate to super-user and type in the password
Quote:
su
password
6/ Paste in this
Code:
cp -r ~/Fibonacci /PCBSD/local/kde4/share/wallpapers/.
7/ If everything went well, open Appearance settings and set your wallpaper.
8/ Viola!

Regarding repartioning UFS2 after it is live...There is no easy way or "software" to do it. The tools would be the usual bsdlabel, newfs, and fdisk. I'm under the impression you wouldn't want to mess with them. However, there is a way to set up partitions ("slice" in BSD world) during setup. You will need to choose Advance disk layout and setup slices as you need. Recommended values are
Quote:
/ => 1GB, /usr => As much as needed, /var => 10GB, /tmp => 10GB
Good luck.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 AM

Thank you for the help!

Yes, I don't usually give links because I'm afraid to be marked as spam. Happened way too many times in e-mails, other forums didn't let you post links unless you had this many posts...I'm sorry for that.

Okay, the wallpaper is on, but directly from the /home dir. Have to escalate to superuser. Who knows how to do that...it's probably written in the documentation, which I'll check later.

But the wallpaper and the Elegance theme didn't exactly set things like in those screenshots. I have no big, red "Launch" button with the KDE logo on it. I don't have the "Home" folder link on the desktop (I'd go for a "My Computer equivalent, with all the partitions linked to from there - there is currently one such item named "computer" in the launch menu but it would be nice on the desktop). I don't have the launch menu customized that way.
I'm sorry but I couldn't find a way to customize either the menu or the appearance of a "computer" item on the desktop. And even the panel, the bottom horizontal bar, looks slightly different.
This IS the most user-friendly open source OS I've ever seen, but right behind ReactOS. Exactly because of these things - there's never a quick and easy way to do some customizations on it. To change resolutions, all I can think of is picking item...#7, I think, from the boot menu, which definitely requires a reboot.
And customizing it to look precisely like in those screenshots is needed because I will have some Windows users (who haven't seen anything else, ever) in front of PC-BSD. I need to have them use it as naturally as possible.

Now, regarding UFS2: I wasn't talking about one single open source software to do that, I was also including commercial software. Like Paragon or OnTrack. But this was more of a curiosity. I can try for myself and I believe the latest versions can handle it.

Again, thank you for explaining.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:07 PM

Okay, the wallpaper is on, but directly from the /home dir. Have to escalate to superuser. Who knows how to do that...it's probably written in the documentation, which I'll check later.
In terminal invoke su and it will ask you for a password. Type in the administrative password that you set during the installation. If you already setup the wallpaper, then it is unnecessary to copy the Fibonacci into the KDE main folder. I only suggested that so that this wallpaper is available to all users on the machine.

But the wallpaper and the Elegance theme didn't exactly set things like in those screenshots. I have no big, red "Launch" button with the KDE logo on it. I don't have the "Home" folder link on the desktop (I'd go for a "My Computer equivalent, with all the partitions linked to from there - there is currently one such item named "computer" in the launch menu but it would be nice on the desktop). I don't have the launch menu customized that way.
I'm sorry but I couldn't find a way to customize either the menu or the appearance of a "computer" item on the desktop. And even the panel, the bottom horizontal bar, looks slightly different.
This IS the most user-friendly open source OS I've ever seen, but right behind ReactOS. Exactly because of these things - there's never a quick and easy way to do some customizations on it. To change resolutions, all I can think of is picking item...#7, I think, from the boot menu, which definitely requires a reboot.
And customizing it to look precisely like in those screenshots is needed because I will have some Windows users (who haven't seen anything else, ever) in front of PC-BSD. I need to have them use it as naturally as possible.
I would hold off on judging too soon about the ability to customize. You might want to realize that in UNIX-like OS if you can find the files you can change it...this is often not the case in other systems. I suppose what I advise you to do wasn't enough. You wanted exact replica. Like this?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I suppose what I advise you to do wasn't enough. You wanted exact replica. Like this?
Exactly!

And yes, I do want to move the wallpaper so that I can KNOW the related things. Like this one, how to become a super user - easy, throw "su" at a console.

That's why I want to know how to have an exact, 1:1 replica of that screenshot. I also want it because it's much more similar to Windows (and the ones who will be using the computers will be thankful to me AND you), while being completely free.

And again I must commend the team. I just installed it on a computer with a...20" monitor or so. You do offer the option of a 16:10 or 16:9 resolution, which is great news.

I knew I shouldn't have gone for Ubuntu - a friend confirmed that whatever version they used at his previous employer, it didn't allow widescreen resolutions, just 4:3 ones and three of them, not more.

However, you may want to remember that I had to Google the LCD monitor's exact model to find out what the native resolution is. Maybe you should limit the display settings wizard who shows up after installation, to whatever the monitor sends via DDC. I don't know if you're a dev and can remember that - I'll write a bug if you want, or anything like that.

Also, the monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050. Things look excellent, but the bottom bar is shorter. Somehow, it's not as long as the display area is (I set the theme to Elegance but it appears to be theme-independent). Still works fine, though. Will also write a bug for this one.

I'll soon be reading that topic about flushing out every bug and missing feature from this OS. In the meantime, please teach me how to have a 1:1 replica of the screenshot you provided.

And thanks a lot, again.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 PM

However, you may want to remember that I had to Google the LCD monitor's exact model to find out what the native resolution is. Maybe you should limit the display settings wizard who shows up after installation, to whatever the monitor sends via DDC. I don't know if you're a dev and can remember that - I'll write a bug if you want, or anything like that.
I'm not a dev, but sure you should pass this on to them

I'll soon be reading that topic about flushing out every bug and missing feature from this OS. In the meantime, please teach me how to have a 1:1 replica of the screenshot you provided.
Lol, I don't know if I can. Let me see if I can get back to you on this.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Well, thanks a bunch for that.

Partial results on how to make things look that way are also fine, mind you. I'm particularly interested in that Launch button style and the launch menu style.

I did play a bit with the desktop, it appears I have two kinds of shortcuts: first, going into the launch menu and right clicking on things and then picking "show on desktop" or something like that.

To my surprise, I can't drag a rectangle and select more of that kind of shortcuts. Also, they ignore the grid arrangement so I kinda have to arrange them manually.

Second is the kind of shortcut you get after manually installing a PBI, like Firefox or something. At the end of the installation, you get an option to display a shortcut on the desktop.
This kind of shortcuts respect the grid alignment and is also selectable with a rectangle. It's kinda funny to see a rectangle have "selective visual impairment"

Will be waiting patiently. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:55 PM

Well, I have some what of an answer for you.

The setup referenced in that image that I linked used a KDE menu call kbfx. Currently, kbfx is not available for KDE 4.x.x, so there is no way to fix the menu.

On the other hand, there is an application launcher that looks like a window's menu. It's called lancerlot. You can add this via the widget to replace the Kickoff launcher.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:55 PM

Oh boy, thank you soooo much!