Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 PM

Default Problems with Samba and Webmin on PCBSD 7.1
Greetings to all!

I am running PCBSD stable version 7.1 with all updates. I installed Webmin following the tutorial on BSD_01_2010.pdf. I also installed Samba from the ports included on the system. All appears to be work fine except I'm not able to browse for the system.

When I run testparam -s on the server it displays:
Load smb config file from /usr/PCBSD/local/etc/smb.conf.

When I try to edit the config file from Webmin it acts on the file:
Editing Samba configuration file /usr/local/etc/smb.conf

Now, Samba manual states that Samba's configuration is stored in the smb.conf file, which usually resides in /etc/samba/smb.conf or /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.

So why the difference? How can I reconcile this so I can get this sytem working?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Problems with Samba and Webmin on PCBSD 7.1
Let me guess, you installed the port without running runports first right? I haven't read the BSD magazine so I won't know what it told you to do.

As for why there are different locations of smb.conf, this has more to do with PCBSD idiosyncrasies, which I will not go into. Suffice to say,

Code:
/usr/PCBSD/local/etc/smb.conf
is the one that you should tell Webmin to use. There should be a way to tell Webmin to parse in a different configuration file. As stated on the Webmin wiki

Quote:
Configuring the Samba Windows File Sharing module
The module assumes that you have installed the Samba package available for your operating system or Linux distribution, or have compiled Samba from source code if no such package is available. If this is not the case (for example if you have compiled the latest version instead of using a package), the paths that it uses for the Samba programs and configuration files will be wrong. This will cause the module's main page to incorrectly display an error message about Samba not being installed.
Fortunately, these paths can be easily changed by clicking on the standard Module Config link in the top-left corner of the main page. On the form that appears if you follow this link are fields that control the module's user interface (under *Configurable options*) as well as the fields for configuration file and program paths (under System configuration). The first group of settings can be safely changed at any time, but those that set paths do not generally need to be adjusted as the defaults are usually correct.
Wish you luck and happy reading.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks for your great response, it's greatly appreciated. No, I did use the command runports as it's the first step in the article.

On a side note, are symlinks permanent? What happens if the system is rebooted?

Thanks again,
Old 03-11-2010, 11:54 PM

symlinks are permanent until you delete them or the file that you soft-link to moved away.