Old 02-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Default Virtualbox USB
Does anyone know when usb devices will be supported in Virtualbox? I noticed that the newest version has a menu option for them under devices however it does not detect anything yet. There are also no menu/settings for them in the Virtualbox settings. I am aware that FreeBSD 8.0 rewrote the USB stack so I would imagine that is one step in the right direction. Just wondered if anyone had any information on this or knew where I should look. The FreeBSD virtualbox wiki simply just says that it is not 'yet' implemented. Thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Virtualbox USB
As far as I remember, USB support is only included in the VirtualBox closed source edition. The VirtualBox OSE (open source) edition lacks USB support.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:44 PM

Yes you are correct about that, however based on their wiki I believe they are in the process of trying to implement it. I was hoping someone may know anything in regards to the status of this.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by z662
Does anyone know when usb devices will be supported in Virtualbox? I noticed that the newest version has a menu option for them under devices however it does not detect anything yet. There are also no menu/settings for them in the Virtualbox settings. I am aware that FreeBSD 8.0 rewrote the USB stack so I would imagine that is one step in the right direction. Just wondered if anyone had any information on this or knew where I should look. The FreeBSD virtualbox wiki simply just says that it is not 'yet' implemented. Thanks
I think USB is only used if guest additions are installed and there is no support for guest additions in BSD.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:53 AM

As far as I know there is a port for Guest Additions for FreeBSD guests.

For the best info I know of on VirtualBox + FreeBSD see:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox

I personally have never tried any BSD in VirtualBox yet, so the best I can do is provide a link.

Hope it helps.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:03 PM

I am currently running VirtualBox WITH geust Additions. All seems to be working nicely.
However, I have not tried the USB but can check tonight and maybe get back to you.

Please stand by....

Edit:
My USB stick doesn't seem to show up in Virtualbox(WinXP). In the VirtualBox window there is a "Device" menu which shows an menu item for USB but mine always seems to show "No available device" or some suhc non-sense.
So if USB functionality is indeed enabled, I can't seem to figure out how to use it.

Sorry for the not-so-helpful reply.