Old 02-04-2010, 09:39 PM

Default Dual boot with Windows 7 on a single drive
Hi everyone!

I installed PC-BSD 8.0RC yesterday on my hard drive with the following partitions:

100M Windows 7 boot partition
65G Windows 7 partition
13G PC-BSD 8.0RC Slice with automatic partitioning.

I checked the box to install the bootmanager so I could dual boot between Windows 7 and the newly installed PC-BSD.

After the installation, I got to the boot menu and PC-BSD booted correctly (I finally got an error because the /usr partition was full... it seems that 13G is not enough for the packages I chose). But, that's not the real problem...

I can't boot to Windows 7 anymore. I got the error 0xc000000e (inacessible peripheric). I tried to repair the Windows installation with the DVD but it doesn't even detect that Windows is installed! I tried to reset the MBR in command line from the Windows DVD but it just removed the boot manager and now I get to the PC-BSD menu directly.

I read that EasyBCD can be used in Windows 7 to add an entry so I can boot PC-BSD. The problem is that I can't get to boot Windows 7 and install EasyBCD.

What should I do now?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Martin
Old 02-16-2010, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Dual boot with Windows 7 on a single drive
I'm hardly an expert for PC BSD. I'm not sure what you may have done with the XP DVD and MBR? As a diagnostic boot into a Linux/Unix emergency CD or a live distribution that lets you write etc? There's an ncurses utility program you can run from terminal/shell called cfdisk. It will show you the status of sectors of the disk.
Verify that both the Windows sector and the BSD sector are flagged as "bootable". You can set this flag if you have to.

I don't know about Win7 but XP's boot strap is hidden and protected but
usually a "root" unix user can see it. (boot.ini) I assume that's what the MS disk tries to do to repair it; is to rewrite the MBR and relay or copy this strap boot.ini to this sector. So setting the "Bootable" parameter lets any boot manager know where the boot strap is...
Be sure you still have boot.ini on the C:\ or WIN sector and be sure it's set as bootable. I hope that helps!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 AM

I read about this. You need to fix your Windows Boot loader using a rescue disk. I also read people had to run the rescue disk multiple times to get it to work.
Try: http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-fix-vi ... ken-vista/

OR Search in Google for some help/tutorials on fixing Windows. I am not much help when it comes to Windows 7/Vista problems.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clie ... qi=g10&oq=

Once you get Windows working again EasyBCD is your best bet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyBCD

Hope that helps
Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 AM

I'm also planning to have a dualboot - Windows7 & PCBSD 8.0 RC2

I have a 100GB Harddisk of which 60GB has been given to Windows and 40 is free, right now and would like to install PCBSD 8.0 RC2.

Now, the question is, while installing, in the Partition screen, there is a checkbox "Install PC-BSD Bootloader". Do I need to select it or not. As mentioned in this thread, there may be a problem in booting up Windows after the installation. Does this occured for anyone? Any workaround?

Guys, who have already installed OS's in this pattern, pls let me know.

TIA,
- Anand.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 PM

I'm going to try without the bootloader. I had to use my windows 7 disc to repair my installation after I installed the bootloader.

-Simon
Old 03-24-2010, 01:28 PM

May I suggest the EasyBCD instruction on this wiki talk page?
http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/TalkualBooting

I have not tried dual booting 7 with BSD yet but if I had to I would try EasyBCD.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM

Hi to everyone

first of all, sorry for my English

I've got a similar problem, I have a 200gb HDD with 3 primary partitions:

1st -> 70gb ntfs windows 7
2nd -> 80gb ufs2 pcBSD 8
3rd -> 40gb fat32 files

After installing pcBSD 8 I can only boot into windows 7, because I havent installed the pcBSD8 bootloader. I was thinking about installing GRUB when Ive seen this post. Obviously my intention is to have an "easy to install" bootloader that let me choose at the startup between windows 7 and pcBSD 8. Ive used tools like parted magic (a linux live cd to edit partitions) but I have never used easyBCD before.

Ive been reading the pcbsd docs about easybcd and I dont understand the last point (6), when it talks about linux:

Step6: Run EasyBCD. Add an entry for your BSD partition. Go to Linux and the dropdown menu you will find an option for BSD

which linux? Ive only installed windows 7 and pcbsd 8

Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 PM

I don’t know if those instructions are referring to an older version.
Have a look at this screenshot, I think it will help. I think it might be referring to the Tab.

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s341 ... asyBSD.jpg

If it works for you please reply to this thread so others know it worked for you?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by kifto
Step6: Run EasyBCD. Add an entry for your BSD partition. Go to Linux and the dropdown menu you will find an option for BSD

which linux? Ive only installed windows 7 and pcbsd 8
I have changed the text for step 6 on the wiki. Please let me know if that now makes more sense or if you can suggest better wording.
http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/TalkualBooting